Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replaced memory, now laptop wont start properly

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:36 AM

Dell Inspiron 6000. Its currently has 512MB PC2 4200 ram, and windows xp. It was working fine yesterday. I wanted to increase the ram, so I first went to the site crucial.com to find out how much memory it could take, and it reported it could take upto 2GB of either PC2 5300 or PC2 6400. So I figured the fact that it had PC2 4200 meant that the laptop was running with slower speed ram. Anyway I got 2 1GB sticks of PC5300 RAM, and replaced the PC2 4200 with these sticks. Now the laptop would power on, the fan would come on, and then in two seconds the laptop powered off. I reseated the memory, and tried again. But same thing, the laptop powered on, the fan came on, and then the laptop shut off in two seconds. I then replaced the ram with the original ram, seated it properly, but still same thing. And now Im at a loss to figure out why? Any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

The first question I have for you is, is it possible to enter the BIOS setup utility of this laptop?

There should be a notice during POST screen what keys to hit to enter setup.

If this laptop does enter the BIOS setup utility at all, how long does this laptop computer run if you remain in this setup screen?

If it is longer than 5 to 10 minutes or if it still shuts down with-in 2 seconds, then please post back to this thread and let me know this.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

Hi MrBruce,

No when I turn the computer on, there isnt any display, the power light illuminates, and I hear the fan turn on, and then 2 secs after that it shuts down. So no I cant get to the BIOS or anyting, since there is no display at all

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:01 PM

I would go to the Dell web site and make sure the new ram is correct.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:17 PM

Hi MrBruce,

No when I turn the computer on, there isnt any display, the power light illuminates, and I hear the fan turn on, and then 2 secs after that it shuts down. So no I cant get to the BIOS or anyting, since there is no display at all

Have you tried doing a hard reset on this laptop since all these problems started?

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:32 PM

Mr. Bruce,

By hard reset you mean take out the battery and the ac adapter and press and hold the power buttton for 15 seconds? If so, yes I did. Is it possible that a loose connection somewhere is causing the laptop to power down, or is this behavior indicative of faulty ram or maybe damaged ram slots?

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:48 AM

or is this behavior indicative of faulty ram or maybe damaged ram slots?

Possibly, as that's the only recent addition/change since this problem started occurring.

By hard reset you mean take out the battery and the ac adapter and press and hold the power buttton for 15 seconds?

Have you tried doing this with the original RAM sticks installed? Unless the slots are damaged or the sticks aren't seated properly, the laptop most certainly should run on the original sticks.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#8 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

Yes I have done the hard reset using old ram sticks and new ram sticks, inserting them one at a time into each slot, but the problem persists. The laptop turns on and within two seconds powers off. So, then since I also used new ram sticks and the problem persisted, is it a sure bet to say the ram slots are defective, or could it also be the whole motherboard?

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:21 PM

I am adding support pages to this thread for your laptop.

http://support.dell.com/support/DPP/Index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=anavml&SystemID=INS_PNT_6000

Dell Inspiron™ 6000 document support page (note: you can use the two HTML links below, but this link provides you with download links so you can save them on your computer.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6000/en/index.htm

Dell Inspiron™ 6000 Service Manual
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6000/en/sm/index.htm

Dell Inspiron™ 6000 Owners Manual
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6000/en/om/D5181bk5.pdf

Text regarding memory modules on Dell Inspiron™ 6000 laptop from the owners manual.

If you are replacing a memory module, remove the existing module:
a Use your fingertips to carefully spread apart the securing clips on each end of the memory module
connector until the module pops up.
b Remove the module from the connector.
NOTICE: If you need to install memory modules in two connectors, install a memory module in the connector
labeled “DIMMA” before you install a module in the connector labeled “DIMMB.” Insert memory modules at a
45-degree angle to avoid damaging the connector.
NOTE: If the memory module is not installed properly, the computer may not boot properly. No error message
indicates this failure.
5 Ground yourself and install the new memory module:
a Align the notch in the module edge connector with the tab in the connector slot.
b Slide the module firmly into the slot at a 45-degree angle, and rotate the module down until it
clicks into place. If you do not feel the click, remove the module and reinstall it.

Please make sure the modules are fully seated in the slots, the service manual link above might better assist you in opeing up your laptop for diagnosing a possible broken RAM slot to motherboard connection.

Bruce.

#10 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:28 PM

Hey Bruce,
I did what those inks suggested, and I replaced and reseated the ram sticks one at a time. I found out one of the slots is bad, and therefore when I put in both the ram sticks , the bad one that didnt make a good connection was the cause of the computer shutting down. When I just had one ram stic inserted into the good slot the computer booted up fine.

If the ram slots on a computer go bad is there anything that can be done to revive the computer?

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:58 PM

If the ram slots on a computer go bad is there anything that can be done to revive the computer?

Absolutely.

The probable reason the RAM slot is bad is because one of the RAM slot ZIF connections to the motherboard is not making a secure connection. In other words, it needs to be re-soldered to the motherboard.

Now I am not going to rule out that a diode or resistor is not shorted or burned open internally, but I believe because those RAM slots endure a lot of force caused by the force used to push the modules down into the slot to the point they lock into place.

That force is enough to cause one of the connectors in the slot to break free from its soldered location on the motherboard.

Now is this an easy repair for the average person? No, but it isn't impossible to do once you learn how to solder microscopic surface mount electronic components with a fine tipped soldering pencil.

I would not throw this computer out just yet, because you can practice how to be really good at soldering on circuit boards in little time and can most likely save this motherboard.

I'll provide more details if you wish me too, electronics repair has been in my blood since I was 10 years old, it is not that hard to do and I can offer my advice to you for FREE and you do the repair yourself. :thumbup2:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users