Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Print Management from MMC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 McGrubber

McGrubber

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:07 AM

I am looking for a way to allow helpdesk staff to manage printers from the MMC without adding them to the admin group. Using this article I was able to allow them to manage printers when they log on to the server, but would really like to find a way to allow them to do this from an MMC.

http://kevin.vanzonneveld.net/techblog/article/allow_windows_users_to_restart_service/

Initially I had just added the users to the print operators group and the power users group which proved to be worthless, I donít know what Microsoft was thinking when they created the Print Operators group but it serves no apparent use and is ridiculously restricted and useless.

Anyway with the above changes users can now fully manage printers, from the server as memebers of the power uses groups and the print operators group but I would really like them to be able to use MMC to manage them. Iíve been researching online but havenít found too much on it so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:08 AM

There is this article but it still requires them to be on the server but it does use and MMC. Print Management MMC
I also found this browsing around:

If you install the management tool on your workstation you will be able to
manage all your printer servers from one central location. The utility is on
disk 2 of the Windows Server 2003 R2 CD.

Here is the location of the file. D:\ADMIN\PMCMGMT.EXE
D:\ - being your CDRom drive

Note: you may also need to install this on the server for it to work properly.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users