Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 macdadluke23

macdadluke23

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:06 AM

I have a dell inspirion 710m it does not work anymore but i want to take the hard drive and backup my data to my desktop. The problem is I do not know what kind of connector is this hard drive for example: SAta or Esata and so forth. The picture below will show you how my hard drive looks. Also is there an adapter for that particular hard drive so i can transfer it to my desktop

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/extracting-data-from-a-dead-laptop-with-a-laptop-hard-drive-adapter/5160538

#3 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:55 AM

It's a PATA connection, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfish%26%23153%3B+-+Hard+Drive+Enclosure+Kit+for+2.5%22+PATA/EIDE+Hard+Drives/9459597.p?id=1218108383641&skuId=9459597&st=pata%20enclosuer&cp=1&lp=1

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:33 PM

I use the type of adapter tha Allan referred you to all the time.
The only caution is to be really careful when attaching/removing the adapter so that you dont bend the pins on the drive.

Easies way to do this is to see if your cdrom drive on the desktop is IDE as well.
If it is, it will have a grey ribbon cable about three inces wide.
If that is the case, just temporarily disconnect the cdrom drive and attach the hard drive there.
The system should recognize it & you should be able to get your data.

If I read the label on the drive right, it was made in 2004 so it is not in warranty.

Edit: Upon re-reading "it does not work anymore"
If the drive is physically broken there is nothing you can do.
The adapter is worth a try though.

Edited by Eyesee, 07 June 2011 - 09:12 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users