Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to access IE, access denied when updating display drivers, no windows update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Simplyme16

Simplyme16

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

Good morning,

I have a system that has had numerous issues, mainly virus related. I have cleaned the system, and show no virus activity... but I'm still having issues.

Late last week the system was stuck in a loop, it wouldn't boot to Windows at all (no safe mode, no normal mode). I resorted to a Windows repair from the install disk. It worked... to a certain degree. I am now able to get into Windows, but can not open IE and I can not install a display driver.

I am unable to access Windows Update, but was able to set automatic updates to install lots of updates including SP3, but I am still unable to make any changes.

Initially when I attempted to open IE I would get a window saying that IE had to close instantly. I attempted to reinstall IE, and I attempted to install a newer version of IE. Neither worked. If I chose to install the updates with the install I would get an access denied error, if I chose not to install the updates with the install it would look like it worked, but now when I click on IE I get "Error loading C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetcpl.cpl. The operating system cannot run %1"

In device manager, I have no drivers installed on my display adapter. If I try to update it, it looks like it's going to install... but then I get "Cannot install the hardware. Access is Denied".

Any assistance or insight into this would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:26 AM

On any system with a number of issues...it's often better to do a clean install to wipe the slate clean, rather than hope that you have patched all known and unknown issues, IMO.

Louis

#3 Simplyme16

Simplyme16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:36 AM

Well, that's the way I have been leaning... I was just throwing this out there as a last ditch effort to see if anyone had a simple solution before I do the wipe.

Thanks Louis; I guess sometimes a bandaid just isn't a good enough fix.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

The way that I look at it is...if I spend more than 3 days (intermittently) trying to comprehend what is wrong with my system, it's time to just wipe the drive, then run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic (to ensure that the drive is not the problem), and then try a reinstall of Windows to further define/eliminate the problem.

I have had two systems for multiple years, so I can afford the 3 days...but no more :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users