Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erase hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 markg2

markg2

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:31 AM

We are done with an XP machine and wish to erase the hard drive prior to storage for possible future use or donation.

Is there an easy way to create a CD boot disk that will remove all but the OS and in the absence of that option, remove all?

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:44 AM

Remove all but the OS? If everything is on one partition then no - you have to manually delete whatever you want (or use one of the methods in this link to securely delete individual files: http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=securely+delete+files&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS369US309&ie=UTF-8&aq=0&oq=securely+delete). If you have multiple partitions / drives you can format the non-system partitions (or you can use a 3rd party app to securely delete highly sensitive data if you feel the need (http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml). You can use the same or a similar utility to delete the system partition as well if you so choose.

#3 markg2

markg2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:54 AM

I'm just curious why a bootable CD couldn't put enough of the OS in memory to minimally run the computer while erasing all of the stuff on the hard drive? Is there an easy answer?

Mark

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:16 AM

Certainly you can wipe the whole hard drive clean using a bootable CD: I include instructions to do so using dban.

Download dban (Darik's Boot and Nuke):

"Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot disk that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction."

If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disk ...
Download and install ImgBurn (be sure to un-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar): Choose "Write image file to disc". The CD will be bootable.

Boot from the CD, and with ONLY the one hard drive connected to the system ...
This will completely wipe ALL drives connected to the system!
Type autonuke at the prompt and press the <ENTER> key.
Allow to complete.
Be patient: It may take some considerable time, depending on the size of the HDD.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:18 AM

I'm just curious why a bootable CD couldn't put enough of the OS in memory to minimally run the computer while erasing all of the stuff on the hard drive? Is there an easy answer?

Mark

I don't understand the question. Are you asking why the OS can't be "saved" while formatting the rest of the drive? If that's your question, it simply doesn't work that way.

#6 markg2

markg2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the two files. If I run into a question I may be back.

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users