Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are your recommendations for AV software?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stressed Out888

Stressed Out888

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:55 AM

My ISP has as a free download an F-Secure based Antivirus Software for it's subscribers. I personnaly dont like it.

In the past, I actually had no AV software installed as I was careful where I went and I used Firefox with script blocking. As a habit, I routinely went to various sites that did free malware scans. I have malwarebytes scan and SUPERAntiSpyware FREE Edition

Unfortunately, F-Secure no longer does a complete online scan of my Windows 7 files. It basically craps out and tells me it cant read various cab files even though I specifically checked for it not to scan within archived folders.

I just reinstalled my Windows 7 OS and I felt compelled to install the full time version of the AV software.

Are there any apps that I should use or have within my arsenal to scan for malware? If so, what's recommended and that is not heavy on resources or bogs down your system?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:33 AM

I use and recommend Avast Antivirus.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:09 AM

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, available technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no best anti-virus. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. For more specific information to consider, please read Choosing Your Anti-virus Software.

A multi-layered defense using anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

My personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint. Kaspersky Anti-Virus is also a good choice.
If you're looking for a free alternative, I recommend any of the following:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 midou1994

midou1994

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

Hi

You can try Avira Free

You can use programs like Winpatrol spyware blaster for monitoring changes and preventing the installation of malicious items as well

If you are planning to buy a paid product I suggest you give Norton 360 and Norton internet Security a try,

Symantec has done a lot of work in the past years

No system slow downs

Didn`t slow a PC with 512 MB Ram

Good scan speed

rated Highly by comparitives

The Bad

Norton 360 has some issue with core Draw,Auto cad,Roxi burning tool

User`s have complained about Auto protect being disabled although I have not faced any issue both with my licensed and trial versions...
Midou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users