Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps crashing, Problems with all browsers (FF, Chrome, Opera)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 rycdavis

rycdavis

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:19 AM

Computer has XP and Ubuntu. This problem is ONLY in XP, runs fine in Ubuntu.
I first got this computer just a few months ago. Had a fresh install of XP on it. The firefox issue is what started first, before i had chrome or opera. essentially i would be working on FF and suddenly i couldnt type in any fields. it would just flash the cursor and type nothing. if i open any other program, i could type. close FF and reopen, and it would work fine for a while then happen again.

So i got chrome. Then chrome started giving me the "aww snap" crash message on every other page, and sometimes randomly closing. so i reinstalled chrome with a new profile, and it worked fine for a day or two, then started again and would get worse and worse. sometimes a few extensions would crash at the same time too. but not always. so i thought it was a chrome problem.

Then starting about a week ago, every day or two i would get randomly get the memory dump blue screen, and the computer would restart. happened twice today.

so i got opera. its been better, but it randomly shuts off and crashes a few times a day too.

it seems no other programs have been giving me problems, just browsers, and my computer shutting down. sometimes it shuts down while im browsing, other times its while using another program. theres absolutely no pattern that i see.

Where can i even start to figure out what is wrong? I got a few AVG errors a few days ago so uninstalled it. have run MBAM a few times, found nothing. i dont have a ton of stuff, im generally careful with downloading stuff. i have checked my running processes for anything obvious, found nothing. i keep my startup list small. i run ccleaner often.

thanks in advance!

Edited by rycdavis, 06 June 2011 - 01:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:19 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#3 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:22 AM

i run ccleaner often.

Do you run the registry cleaner? If you have, that may have something to do with the problems you are having. NEVER USE A REGISTRY CLEANER UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. YOU COULD REALLY MESS UP YOUR SYSTEM IF YOU MESS WITH THE REGISTRY.

As Hamluis said...please give us more information about your system and the contents of the blue screen error.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:58 AM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Louis

#5 rycdavis

rycdavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:12 PM

interesting about ccleaner... ive always been recommended to use it, i guess i wont use the registry part of it anymore!

the computer is HP Compaq NC6400
Heres my crash log, it only had one entry:

==================================================
Dump File : Mini060611-01.dmp
Crash Time : 6/6/2011 1:01:24 AM
Bug Check String : KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x1000008e
Parameter 1 : 0xc0000005
Parameter 2 : 0x8054bfcb
Parameter 3 : 0xa608eaa8
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : Npfs.SYS
Caused By Address : Npfs.SYS+5f86
File Description : NPFS Driver
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+74fcb
Stack Address 1 : Npfs.SYS+5f86
Stack Address 2 : Npfs.SYS+5cd3
Stack Address 3 : Npfs.SYS+5dd3
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060611-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
Dump File Size : 98,304
==================================================

thanks guys!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

I've never seen that file mentioned on any STOP error before...nuy it appears to be a Windows file.

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED: A kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

8E STOP errors are often damaged drivers.

Not enough data for me to draw any conclusions.

Louis

#7 rycdavis

rycdavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

upon google search for the item earlier, i saw discussion of using verifier.exe to check drivers for the issue. i dont know how to use that, does it sound like something worth trying?

when i got the computer, it did have numerous driver problems. I had to reinstall and rollback several drivers to make stuff work (for my dvd drive, fingerprint reader, etc.) so if theres a driver problem, it wouldnt surprise me. any tips for finding driver problems?

#8 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:38 PM

It could be a problem with the RAM. I had a computer where it would work for a little while and then I would get the BSOD every reboot until I reseated the RAM. You could try replacing the RAM. A BIOS update wouldn't hurt as well.

#9 rycdavis

rycdavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

replacing the ram meaning pulling the panels off the back of the laptop, pulling it out and putting it back in?
and where do i go for a bios update?

#10 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:45 PM

The RAM modules are usually located under the keyboard or on the bottom of the computer. There is usually a access panel that you unscrew and remove to access the RAM slots. Replacing the RAM is installing new modules of RAM, not just taking them out and putting them back in.
As far as the bios update, you need to go to HP's website and look for the update under the support information for your laptop.

#11 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:49 PM

I would try downloading Memtest 86, burn the iso file to a CD and running it overnight. It will test the memory for errors. If there are any errors, you should replace the memory modules.

#12 rycdavis

rycdavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:50 PM

Compaq nc6400
XP professional version 2002
SP3
Intel Core 2 CPU
T5600@1.83ghz
1.83ghz, 1.99gb ram

as i mentioned ive had several driver problems since i got it. dvd drive not working, fingerprint scanner not working, wouldnt play even wav or mp3 files, etc. the guy i got it from had (and it still has but ive never touched) driver genius professional, clearly didnt work right or wasnt used right...

#13 rycdavis

rycdavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:52 PM

ill try the memtest thing
how much would replacing the ram cost-ish? i never buy computer parts really..

#14 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

Then it might be worth a shot at trying to reinstall XP from scratch and downloading and installing the drivers from HP's site. It looks as if the drivers might be causing some major conflicts.

#15 rycdavis

rycdavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:57 PM

ugh, i hateee backing up and restoring lol.
the guy gets computers, resets them and sells them for a living. i talked to him quite a bit and i dont think hes shady or unknowledgeable, maybe ill take it back to him and have him give it a second try without the stuff he usually installs (like driver genius, ccleaner, MBAM, etc), because i can get them myself.
i just have numerous programs and things that i hate losing even when you backup. was hoping it wouldnt come to that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users