Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Protect Folder

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 YourSweet666

YourSweet666

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:22 AM

i have a folder of things ive typed up that i dont want people to be able to read on my computer, i cant make the folder private so i was wondering. is there a way i can password protect the folder, there is only one user on XP but Other people still use my comp and i dont want people to be able to read my stuff so i need to password protect the folder,

thank you

Edited by YourSweet666, 07 January 2006 - 12:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:30 AM

Would it not be easier to password you screen saver? Set it for a low time.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 YourSweet666

YourSweet666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:33 AM

Yes, but other people use the computer and i cannot password protect the screensaver, without everyone who uses the comp knowing the password. i can find ways around it if i cant do it but i would greatly prefer being able to password protect the folder

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:52 AM

This one is recommended in the BC compendium of freeware:
http://www.spychecker.com/program/maxcrypt.html

This one I use myself:
http://www.cypherix.co.uk/download/cryle.exe

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:45 AM

Try going to the foldeer you want to protect and Right clig on folder>Properties>Sharing>Local Sharing and Security(check box. It will prompt you for a password. That should do it.

#6 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:34 AM

I may be missing something fundamental but isn't the point of having a User Account so that other users can't
access your folders?

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:50 AM

I may be missing something fundamental but isn't the point of having a User Account so that other users can't
access your folders?

And with that said, my not make your own user account? Sometimes the simplest solutions are right there. Thank you for pointing that out. :thumbsup:

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:58 AM

Try going to the foldeer you want to protect and Right clig on folder>Properties>Sharing>Local Sharing and Security(check box. It will prompt you for a password. That should do it.

I tried that just for kicks, and the ckeckbox is greyed out and so I can't check it. Why do you suppose that is?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#9 winigo

winigo

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:58 PM

my solution to this, if i may, is to use Winzip,
which while reducing the size of a folder, also allows for Password protection...

w

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:00 PM

Passwording folders in Windows XP Home is only available if you chose NTFS for your filesystem.

My wife's laptop came with Fat32 and I spent (wasted) a fair amount of time setting up user accounts for everyone only to find all the users had access to every other users files anyway!

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users