Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Starcraft On Line

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:32 PM

Hello Whiz Kids,

I recently was connected to broadband (512 with AAPT). My son is also connected via our own 2 computer network). We hava a DLink modem and a LinkSys switch (not a router) and are connected via ethernet. Every thing is fine except for 1 problem.

When playin the game StarCraft on line (with either computer) it is only possible to play 1v1 games without lag. Any other type of play is impossible due to lag. Also, when I create a game, others cannot join because it says latency is too high. So far other online game play has no problem. This was not a problem when we used dial up.

I have been onto the Blizzard people (Starcraft makers) and have followed all their advice(e.g. opening certain ports) I have been onto my ISP and configured modem a number of times. All to no avail. This one problem persists.

I have spoken to a number of other people with the same problem with broadband. They are with different ISPs and use different hardware. One person suggested that the broadband speed is too high for the dial up servers of starcraft but there are plenty of people playing on broadband and cable without any problem.

I am at a loss where to look next for a solution. Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated.

Hopefully

Constantine
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:55 AM

hmmmm this is strange i would have said it was ports or firewall but you say youve tried those, have you tried reinstalling the game?

Edited by conk, 07 January 2006 - 05:56 AM.

If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

#3 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:59 AM

Dear conk,

No I havent reinstalled the game but this is happening on both computers.

By the way eagles soar, not sore.

Sorry to be a pain but I figured you would like to know.

Thanks

Constantine
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

#4 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:02 AM

lol you are observant arent you :thumbsup: , its probably still worth reinstalling them its a long shot i know but one that might still work other than that im not sure.

Edited by conk, 07 January 2006 - 08:02 AM.

If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

#5 Logik

Logik

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:45 AM

It might have something to do with your ISP. You can try using something like Ping Plotter to trace the routes to the servers and see if you notice anything fishy. A Google or WhoIs search might get you the IPs you'd be looking for, or tech support can probably provide them as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users