Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Recovery is evil!!!! Still infected!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AsburyJer

AsburyJer

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:30 PM

There is a special corner of Hell reserved for the person who created this thing.

Ok, so it seems I'm still infected even after running the RKill program, and my Malware scan, and my Norton scan, the warnings and fake scans have stopped, but unhide didn't work, and I still can't see any of my program files, and it seems that I can't even log into this web forum, so discussion will have to go through my iPhone, or my home pc.

I'm REALLY tired of this crap, and even though I'm a pacifist I think I might kill the person who thought of this virus, they are certainly a demon spawn of satan!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AsburyJer

AsburyJer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:10 PM

Help? :(

#3 AsburyJer

AsburyJer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:30 PM

1) running iExplore.exe as admin
2) Processes terminated by Rkill or while it was running:
None
Rkill completed.

3) downloaded and ran TDSSKiller.exe, ran as adiministator: scan completed: infection "not found"

4) Ran Malwarebytes anti-malware: did this earlier today and last night...removed three trojan horses last night but nothing this morning, running again right now.

#4 AsburyJer

AsburyJer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

5) Malware scan complete
Memory processes infected: 0
Memory modules infected:0
Registry keys infected:0
Registry values infected:0
Registry data items infected:0
Folders infected:0
Files infected:0

No malicious items detected across the board.

#5 AsburyJer

AsburyJer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:03 PM

6) running unhide as administrator.

#6 AsburyJer

AsburyJer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:05 PM

Finished but all I have are my file folders on my desktop; no program shortcuts, start menu is empty, and task tray is all blank white sheets of paper

#7 AsburyJer

AsburyJer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

Ok, looks like I'm probably still infected here. I've been working with Broni on the Windows 7 forum to try and figure this thing out and he thinks that from what he's seen that I still have some residual infection.

Here is a link to the other thread where we were talking, you can see there the screen shots of some of the files and what we did.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic399676.html/page__st__60

thanks.

#8 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:45 AM

Finished but all I have are my file folders on my desktop; no program shortcuts, start menu is empty, and task tray is all blank white sheets of paper

i have come across this nasty bug several times trying to help other computers out and it is a challenge to remove but it can be fixed.

when you use unhide.exe - make sure your anti-virus and firewall is turned off so it will not interfere with the process. also while it is running DON'T touch keyboard or mouse till it stops. if you do it can cause issues in fixing the unhide issue.

after unhide.exe is finished - i have found out with this virus to restore start menu icons do the following:

• click start
  • move mouse into the section where your start menu icons should be and right click your mouse
  • a new window should open saying properties
  • click properties
  • towards the bottom of the properties screen there should be 2 boxes unchecked saying something about showing icons in start menu
  • check both boxes
  • click apply
  • click ok
  • close start menu
  • now reopen start menu and icons will show now
  • side note: depending on which service pack you have you might have to reboot pc to show start menu icons

Edited by herg62123, 06 June 2011 - 12:56 AM.

Posted Image

#9 AsburyJer

AsburyJer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

Ok, I'll give that a shot.

#10 AsburyJer

AsburyJer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:21 AM

i have come across this nasty bug several times trying to help other computers out and it is a challenge to remove but it can be fixed.

when you use unhide.exe - make sure your anti-virus and firewall is turned off so it will not interfere with the process. also while it is running DON'T touch keyboard or mouse till it stops. if you do it can cause issues in fixing the unhide issue.

after unhide.exe is finished - i have found out with this virus to restore start menu icons do the following:

• click start
  • move mouse into the section where your start menu icons should be and right click your mouse
  • a new window should open saying properties
  • click properties
  • towards the bottom of the properties screen there should be 2 boxes unchecked saying something about showing icons in start menu
  • check both boxes
  • click apply
  • click ok
  • close start menu
  • now reopen start menu and icons will show now
  • side note: depending on which service pack you have you might have to reboot pc to show start menu icons

Ok, turned off Norton's and my Parental software, ran unhide without touching anything, nothing changed.

I did the start menu properties thing, and it brought up a couple items but my task bar is still blank pages and my start menu folders are still empty.

Losing hope.

Here is a screen shot of my start menu.
Posted Image

#11 AsburyJer

AsburyJer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

Ok, I'm taking my tower to the doctor.