Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello all

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deeptecdiver2000

deeptecdiver2000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

Hello to you all!

Glad to have found this forum, I thought i should introduce myself first, regarding my experience I have built a few PC's over time, Help fix a few freinds laptops with upgrades and general fault finding. but a big lesson i have learned, something still always catches you out!!

Currently i have Win7 running on a quad core (Q6600) 4 GB (DDR2 800MHZ), my question is regarding a process which i am really starting to question.

In task manager (i watch it like a hawk, stopped quite a few malware programs this way!) i have noticed a .NET process take up alot of CPU resources? runs between 70 to 95%

I have recently had STDRT.exe virus removed by bullguard support(infected courtesy of the step daughter on facebook i think)

but am wondering if i have something else left over causing this process to peak out CPU time????

My system is a running a trial version of WIN 7 plus another machine running a RC version of WHS2011 ( neither Hacked!!!!!!!) wondering if this is the possible cause?

recently moved from Vista to WIN7 so this is just a temp measure to see how all it operates together before i purchase full licensed copies.

Am i correct that this is a system problem or is there something more sinister behind this?

Your advice would be much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Miles

Edited by hamluis, 06 June 2011 - 07:42 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:56 PM

I'm not really sure I understand you question; but if it was my computer the first thing I would check is start up in msconfig. Some things might be starting and scanning or trying to call home. Can you be a little more exact on this (net process)? All my net any thing are stopped in Task Manager. Only have three things is start up MSE and my blue tooth mouse and keyboard starting on boot.

#3 deeptecdiver2000

deeptecdiver2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:11 AM

Hi Layback,

Sorry in my message i seemed to leave out the process causing me concern?? Doh!

SMSvchost.exe

It seems to run really high, between 75 and 95% CPU use, Case fans also speed up when it runs! It just seems strange.

looked at msconfig and did see that teamveiwer was running which was used by bullguard support to remove an earlier virus i had, maybe it was that?

anyway i have disabled it and will see if after a re-start it stops happening.

Fingers crossed.

Miles

#4 deeptecdiver2000

deeptecdiver2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:50 AM

Well Layback,

Many thanks for your suggestion of looking into msconfig! this has seems to have solved my problem at the moment as i cant seem to replicate the problem now!

after using bullguard support, I had left teamveiwer saved in another location (external) but did not fully deleted the program from my main PC. silly me!!!!

is it correct to assume it must have still been trying to run but had no program to associate with and therefore going crazy?

if it is indeed the cause, many many thanks!

Kind regards,

Miles

Edited by deeptecdiver2000, 10 June 2011 - 08:52 AM.

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:06 PM

Glad your fixed. Come back and see us again. Their is a lot of people here need help and giving help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users