Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

64bit system and it still shows less ram

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 willy73

willy73

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

hello,
i am need of assistance. i have a Biostar p4m890-m7se motherboard with a 2.1gb core2duo and 4gb ram.

i need some help with windows 7 64 bit system showing me only 2.68gb of useable ram.
i understand that windows 7 uses like 1gb ram but that still should be 3gb of ram left showing in my system.
my graphics card is 1gb but even still its 64bit os and it shouldnt matter sinve over 4gb can be read using 64bit system.
help please i need my 3gb total or at least 2.9 of it. thank you and god bless.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:36 PM

Just to clarify please, from where are you getting the 2.68Gb usable number?

#3 willy73

willy73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

Just to clarify please, from where are you getting the 2.68Gb usable number?

i right click my computer and under system specs (below the windows experienc index 5.1 btw :)) it syas 4.00 gb installed memory and 2.68gb usable

also look here

Posted Image

Attached Files

Edited by willy73, 05 June 2011 - 03:50 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:56 PM

Well, I may be mistaken but it sounds as though your video card is using 1Gb so we can't account for approx 328Mb ram. Take a look at the performance tab in task manager. What does it show for available, used and free? Are you having any problems with your system?

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:58 PM

Your Biostar supports a maximum of 4GB of memory. In order to utilize the full 4GB when running a 64 bit OS, the board must be able to remap the upper memory that clashes with the addresses of the PCI configuration space:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

"For Windows to use all 4 GB of memory on a computer that has 4 GB of memory installed, the computer must meet the following requirements:

The chipset must support at least 8 GB of address space.

The BIOS must support the memory remapping feature..."

Check in the BIOS options to see if there is a memory re-mapping option you can enable. I have not been able to locate any indication that this board has this feature. Unfortunately if it doesn't, it won't be possible to access all of the 4GB due to the hardware limitation.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 GX5000

GX5000

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

Did you make sure the system isn't keeping some back in system reserve ?
Many boards don't automatically release RAM when its shared with onbaord resources like onboard video chipsets.
Check in the BIOS to make sure none is set as "Video" or "System reserve".

Otherwise, since your board IS seeing all the RAM, and this is just a question of WHAT is using it, s screenshot of taskman might help.

#7 willy73

willy73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:20 PM

yea i figured since my MoBo can only use 4gb ram that it might be an issue.
i am planing on getting a better pc so i thank each and everyone for there input
on the matter.thank you all and if you know any good inexpensive (childsupport sux) places to get
a custom whitebox system much would be appreciated.

right now i can get a 3.0GHz Quad Core Barebone PC AMD Athlon IIX4 640 (can handle 16gb)for $302

just needs HD and Optical drive <<< can we say CheAp

again thanks all for everything. this pc im using will serve me fine till i can upgrade :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users