Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Double Malware infection

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 pmgolftoo

pmgolftoo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:57 AM

(New member - retired computer programmer)
Hi guys. My grandchildren's computer has acquired two Malware infections: "Windows Recovery" and "PC Security Guardian". The operating system is Windows XP Home Edition - Service Pack 3 - Pentium 4, 3.00GHz, 3 GB RAM. I have it set up beside my regular PC so I can get the fix from the good PC and pass it over to the infected one.

Booting into "Safe Mode with Networking", I started trying to uninstall "Windows Recovery" using instructions from Bleeping, running RKill.com successfully (removed 2 items), Unhiding all hidden files, and attempted to run tdsskiller.exe (I renamed it 123.com, but it appeared to fail to execute when I clicked on it.). I ran Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware after that and got 763 objects infected, which I removed. I then rebooted into regular Windows XP, and the "Windows Recovery" Malware infection was still there.

Digging deeper, I looked at "All Programs", and found another Malware infection: "PC Security Guardian". I found Uninstall instructions for it here at Bleeping, and ran RKill.com again, getting the same results I got the first time. Running Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware again, I got 766 objects infected (3 more than the first time), and removed them. I rebooted, and both infections are is still there.

Questions: Are the two Malware infections working together somehow, or are they separate? How do I go about getting rid of both of them? One at a time, or is there some way to kill both at the same time? Is there any option when reloading Windows XP where I can delete everything on the C: drive? (I can't remember)

Many thanks to anyone offering help!
Pete

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users