Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot after cloning partition

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jasonfmtl

jasonfmtl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:56 AM

I admit I messed up.

I copied my XP OS partition to another drive using GParted Live instead of making an image. Now I can't boot.

Attempting to boot produces the following error message:
reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

Details that got me to this point:
  • 1st drive (let's call it hdd1) with multiple partitions: XP and data
  • 2nd drive (hdd2) with a partition and unallocated space
  • all partitions are NTFS
  • used GParted Live to copy the boot partition from hdd1 to the empty space on hdd2 - no pb
  • booted into XP - it elected to run chkdsk during the boot
  • once in XP it found new hardware and gave the message that hardware may not work correctly until reboot
  • attempted to reboot and got error message
Things I've checked:
  • both SATA drives are visible in BIOS
  • unplugging either drive (in an attempt to eliminate conflict) gives same result
How can I recover my existing XP installation? Is this just a simple case of using FIXMBR or FIXBOOT (I'd appreciate if someone could explain the difference without copying/pasting from the MS reference)? I intend to delete the copied partition on hdd2 but really do not want to reinstall windows on hdd1.

As a secondary question for once this is fixed, what is the simplest, most reliable free tool for creating an image of my active OS partition?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jasonfmtl

jasonfmtl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:17 PM

Figured out my own solution...

Apparently unplugging the drives to test caused the BIOS to forget the correct boot order and put an old IDE drive as 1st priority. Of course this drive has no OS on it.

It was a simple matter of changing the boot order in the BIOS.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:08 PM

Nice self-help, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users