I copied my XP OS partition to another drive using GParted Live instead of making an image. Now I can't boot.
Attempting to boot produces the following error message:
reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key
Details that got me to this point:
- 1st drive (let's call it hdd1) with multiple partitions: XP and data
- 2nd drive (hdd2) with a partition and unallocated space
- all partitions are NTFS
- used GParted Live to copy the boot partition from hdd1 to the empty space on hdd2 - no pb
- booted into XP - it elected to run chkdsk during the boot
- once in XP it found new hardware and gave the message that hardware may not work correctly until reboot
- attempted to reboot and got error message
- both SATA drives are visible in BIOS
- unplugging either drive (in an attempt to eliminate conflict) gives same result
As a secondary question for once this is fixed, what is the simplest, most reliable free tool for creating an image of my active OS partition?