Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need home router suggestions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:55 AM

These $100 and less routers aren't holding up. I'm currently using a Belkin N (model: F5D8236-4 v2 (01)) which was working OK until recently where it seems to be slowing down/crashing some. I don't have insanely heavy demands for the router, but I'm also not lite. For example, this is what is normally running on my network:

-Playstation 3
-Android Cell
-4 laptops using wireless
-2 desktops + 1 LAN server (using web, and also file storage - only accessible locally)
-and sometimes DirecTV DVRs.

I do pretty much everything you can "name" online. Streaming video (normal and HD), stream Netflix to PS3, play online gaming, and even perform large (multi-GB) downloads and uploads. Because I do run services that require remote access via IP:PORT, I do need good port forwarding, and having DMZ is a bonus for the PS3. Quality of Service is something my current router sucks at and I would also like that feature if possible. Gigabit ports would be a plus, but not required. I would estimate my total internet usage per month to be around 500gb, and total network closer to 750gb-1TB or so when you add in local traffic(transferring files to/from the LAN server).

I've been through the following routers and while some did last a year or so, they rarely hold up or work as good as I like.
Belkin G router (don't know model)
Linksys WRT54G
Linksys WRT54GL
Belkin N150
Linksys WRT160N
Belkin G router (don't know model)
Netgear (don't know model, it was a N one though)
Belkin N300 (current)

None of those seem to hold up decently. I know I just listed some of the most highly reviewed routers on the market...

Having said that, I know I may not be able to get everything I want for a super cheap price and so I'm willing to sacrifice some quality for a better price. Please keep suggestions around $150 or less (if a router is really-good but costs $175, go ahead and post it).

Thanks.

EDIT: Also as far as range goes. I don't need insane range either. The range on any "basic" router is more then enough for me (I live in a low-population area so its not as much interference).

Edited by NpaMA, 06 June 2011 - 01:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:54 PM

I honet to god do not have any suggestions for you except to get all wired because you have been through most of the top router plus you will never get the throe put that you need unless you wire it all up. I say this because technically anyone who uses that much data is named as a heavy user, I am a medium I use about 500GB or less a year and that is running a lot of stuff and streaming netflix all the time. Or you could get an insanely expensive enterprise router. the reason you are breaking these routers is because they were nor really ment or tested to be used in that way with that much data that quick. All I am wondering is how your ISP hasn't killed you yet. lol
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 NpaMA

NpaMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:52 AM

The PC I'm using right now, according to Vista's "Networking monitor" widget, I've used 41GB down, 15GB up within the past 2 days (since PC was last restarted). Of course that's network traffic aswell, so internet usage is a bit lower (but still, total traffic through the router). This is most likely one of the more used PCs and when I gave that number I was just estimating. It may be lower, or it may be higher.

And yes, I figured that. I may go with a good wired router and wire everything I can, then add a wireless router running in AP only mode for the things that must stay wireless.

As far as ISP: I'm paying quite a bit a month (it's not T class, but it's above regular consumer service) so I haven't had any complaints from them, not to mention I've sent MANY customers their way and they know it (considering its locally owned).

Also, I do not use ANY P2P (well I think PS3s uses P2P to update some games, but that's the extent of it).

Thanks for replying and if anyone else has suggestions, feel free to post.

EDIT: I just noticed a typo in my original post. I meant the TOTAL used is 750gb-1tb when you add in LAN traffic, not an extra 1TB.

Edited by NpaMA, 06 June 2011 - 01:02 AM.

#4 phillytim

phillytim

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:10 AM

Have you considered the Apple AirPort Extreme router?

I don't believe that it supports QoS yet, but those routers are rock-solid reliable with great range!

Only 3 Gig ports, but you could always add a cheap switch to it for more.

#5 NpaMA

NpaMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. After looking into it, I'm not sure about the lack of QoS. That's a semi-big thing for me considering the things I have running (ex: HD movie streams can max out and cause lag in online gaming). I'll keep it on the list to check out though.

Currently my router is doing OK so we'll see what happens.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:30 AM

As posted above wired would be the cheapest the next option in my opinion is a Cisco enterprise router like the 880

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 NpaMA

NpaMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:25 PM

I can't really see spending that much on a router at the moment.

I think I'll try one more consumer router (in the $125-150 range) and reduce my usage some. If that fails, I guess I'll have to go with a Cisco Enterprise router. I'm liking the features of the cheap(er) Cisco routers (ex: $300-500 ones) so we'll see what happens.

#8 BrendanT

BrendanT

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:13 PM

I agree with SneakyCyber, Cisco SMB Routers are fantastic. I would suggest looking at something like a Cisco 877W on ebay theyre relatively cheap these days but they still to a great job.

BT
-BrendanT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users