Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

routing internet from 3g dongle to access point..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rockr2

rockr2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:26 AM

hi..:)

this is my first post on this site..:)

i was wondering if u can get the internet from a basic dongle(huawei ec1262) to an access point via laptop...is that possible??...cuz i cant unlock my iphone without wifi..:(...and i'm in dire need of calls...:(

any help greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:56 PM

Hi :welcome: To Bleepingcomputer.com! :thumbsup:

So you are basically saying that you want to use the dongle to connect to a wireless access point right?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:12 PM

This is one of those you can do it, but it rarely works situations, if at all, some 3G dongles or carrier software disables wifi when connected. Heres how you do it:

1) Create an Ad hoc network between your phone and the Laptop:
Start->Connect To->Setup a Connection or Network-> Select "Setup a wireless Ad-hoc network" then click "Next"

In the Name Text box select a name that you can easily recognize, Set the Security to "Open" and then click "Next"

Windows should create the network and then use your phone to Join the network (I have no iPhone so how you do that part is unknown to me)

2) Bridge the networks together:
Start-> Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center->Manage Network connections

Right Click on the Network that you will be using to supply the internet connection, and select "Properties", Click on the "Sharing" tab and select "Allow other network users to connect to the internet through this computers connection". Then click "OK" to save your settings.

3)Use your dongle to connect to the Internet.

You should now have internet supplied to your phone via the laptops wifi

Like I said it's a mixed bag sometimes it works, most times it doesn't.

If anyone has sreenshots of the steps please feel free to post 'em, as my connection isn't agreeing right now. Or if you know a better way Please Share

Posted Image

#4 rockr2

rockr2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:38 PM

Hi :welcome: To Bleepingcomputer.com! :thumbsup:

So you are basically saying that you want to use the dongle to connect to a wireless access point right?

thank u mate!!yes tht's wat i meant..

#5 rockr2

rockr2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

This is one of those you can do it, but it rarely works situations, if at all, some 3G dongles or carrier software disables wifi when connected. Heres how you do it:

1) Create an Ad hoc network between your phone and the Laptop:
Start->Connect To->Setup a Connection or Network-> Select "Setup a wireless Ad-hoc network" then click "Next"

In the Name Text box select a name that you can easily recognize, Set the Security to "Open" and then click "Next"

Windows should create the network and then use your phone to Join the network (I have no iPhone so how you do that part is unknown to me)

2) Bridge the networks together:
Start-> Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center->Manage Network connections

Right Click on the Network that you will be using to supply the internet connection, and select "Properties", Click on the "Sharing" tab and select "Allow other network users to connect to the internet through this computers connection". Then click "OK" to save your settings.

3)Use your dongle to connect to the Internet.

You should now have internet supplied to your phone via the laptops wifi

Like I said it's a mixed bag sometimes it works, most times it doesn't.

If anyone has sreenshots of the steps please feel free to post 'em, as my connection isn't agreeing right now. Or if you know a better way Please Share

THANK U!!!black spyder....!!!it worked like a charm..!!tnx again...i can use wifi on my iphone now..:):)

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:41 PM

No problem, glad it works for someone!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users