Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Central Malware

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 lmbee59

lmbee59

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:36 AM

Ok... apparently my friend clicked on a link via Facebook chat to a website that had a malware, "Windows Security Central"
According to instructions I used the Rkill and the shell first, then did a full scan with Malwarebyte, and she still gets this annoying pop-ups, and I'm wondering if it's deeper, like in the Task Manager or in the Registry.

She has a Dell laptop with Windows 7 and has McAfee antivirus program. I had to use a CD to burn the Rkill and Shell applications, as she couldn't get online. This malware affects her online use, but since I cleaned up some, she was able to get online, only to have error messages to say that there was a suspected malware in her system/registry from a couple of her sites. Her only workaround is to close the IE browser and reopen it again. I told her to not bother with the popups until she is done with her computer for the day. Constantly trying to close the popups could end up hitting the wrong button and start the process all over again.

So is there an application I can use or will I need to do this manually? I've dealt with malwares, but this is a real PITA. Help me help my friend...

thanks...

PS: *groan* I used the incorrect instruction "Windows Security & Control", when I should have used this one. The shell application was not included in the latter, so I'm wondering if that's why my friend kept having popups? The two malwares read almost the same! Guess I need new glasses!

~lmbee59

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users