Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion dv6445us laptop keeps power cycling without boot up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:39 AM

I have windows vista on the computer. Lately, about two days ago, I noticed that my computer doesnt boot up all the way. When I press the power button, the LEDs light up, and I hear the fan. About 5 seconds later, the laptop shuts down and then turns on again, again with no proper boot up, at least I think there is no boot up, I cant see anything on the screen.

I have already tried taking out the battery and the ac cord, holding the power button for 30 seconds to dissipate any static and then just plugged in the power cord. But same thing happens. What should I try next

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bit Monkey

Bit Monkey

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:52 PM

Try taking one stick of RAM out then booting, if problem re-occurs, then put that stick in and take the other out and try again. If you have extra sticks of compatible RAM to the computer lying around, then just replace them with that and see if it works.

#3 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:33 PM

Ill try that. If I have other DDR2 sticks, then can I use those, or do they have to be the exact spec, like replace a PC2 5300 with a PC25300 only, or can I use PC2 6400 or PC2 4200 and so forth.

#4 Bit Monkey

Bit Monkey

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:21 PM

What motherboard do you have??

#5 Bit Monkey

Bit Monkey

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:38 PM

I ask this because you motherboard mannual will tell you what she can handle. It should say something like: "2 DIMMS support for DDR3 1066/1333 MHz ... " the "1066" is the Lowest she will take while "1333" is the highest. Divide the PC rating by 8 and if it falls within that range then you're good to put it in. I'm not absolutely certain this is your problem, but it is a troubleshooting measure to eliminate RAM being the culprit. I have seen bad RAM do what you have explained.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users