Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing HDD with an SSD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 doc78

doc78

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:13 AM

After joining a few days ago, and reading a ton of useful posts, I figured I would throw this out there and see what you guys think. I did a quick search, but nothing really explained what I am looking for.

I currently have an Acer Aspire One model number AO532h that I use at work for reprogramming automotive ECUs. I want to upgrade the factory 140gb HDD to a SSD. I was thinking about a 64gb unit since I use very little drive space on this machine, and the larger ones are a little more than I am looking to spend.

So here is my question. Is it possible to create an image of my HDD and apply it to a new SSD so as to not lose any of my work files and not have to do a complete reinstall of Windows? If so, what is the easiest way?

Unfortunately when I got the computer, I wasn't wise enough to create a recovery disc immediately. :( Can I still do that even after about 6 months of use?

Here is a breakdown of the machine in question.

Acer Aspire One AO532h
Windows 7 Starter (for now, havent really had a need to upgrade yet)
2gb DDR2 RAM (upgraded from 1gb, limited by the above Starter edition to the 2gb, but dont really need more)
140gb HDD
Built in wireless and all that good stuff

I have heard that Windows 7 is able to make image files of your HDD. Is this true with the Starter edition as well?

Is it the best way to do it?

If I do clone my HDD, will my Windows Security Key transfer?

So there you have it. Sorry for such a long first post. Hopefully my ramblings make a shred of sense. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I am fairly computer savvy, but I like to be relatively sure about something before I do it. :guitar:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doc78

doc78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:21 AM

Ok, so I just saw the tutorials tab at the top of the page. Is this basically what I should do? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/backup-your-computer-with-driveimage-xml/

#3 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

Yes that tutorial you found explains pretty much how to do it the whole way through. There are different programs out such as Norton Ghost and Acronis that provide the cloning utility, but again that tutorial will allow you to achieve what you want.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:55 PM

I have heard that Windows 7 is able to make image files of your HDD. Is this true with the Starter edition as well?

I sold a win7 starter laptop last week,wasn't sure it it did have that option ,so i installed win7 starter in a Oracle VM box to check and the answer is yes it does have that option .
its found in the control panel under system and security /backup your computer
.good luck

Edited by caperjac, 05 June 2011 - 07:00 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users