Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel Pentium Vs Amd Athlon

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 StEvE21

StEvE21

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:11 PM

Im looking for a new computer. Do you guys know which of these two is the best?

Intel Pentium 4 516 OR AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:07 PM

I would have to say that the AMD64 3400+ is better, for 1 it has a 1GHz FSB, the Intel only has 533FSB. Which in plain terms means the AMD will run pc3200 memory as opposed to pc2700 for the Intel.
Secondly the AMD is 64bit, which at the moment ain't no big deal, but i'm sure later this year when the new Windows Vista is launched and more programs are made 64bit compatible, it will be a bigger deal.
Thirdly the AMD 64's are recognised as far superior gaming chips, this is mainly because the AMD 64's have an on chip memory controller where as the Intels have to rely on a separate memory controller ( The southbridge chipset), so accessing memory is far quicker for the AMD's.
The only thing going for the Intel chip you quoted above is it has a 1MB L2 cache, the AMD 64 3400+ only has 512KB. I'm unssure how much of a difference the bigger cache would have on performance as I don't fully understand this technology (i'm sure someone else could explain it) but i think it has to do with storing smaller pieces of information/instructions instead of having to write them to memory.

One last point, AMD's run alot cooler than Intels.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:32 AM

Both are better! :thumbsup:

Actually, the question is what are you going to use this system for? Each has it's benefits. And, although I'm an Intel fan - the AMD's are starting to beat the Intel's in most places.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 StEvE21

StEvE21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:49 PM

Thanks guys.
John, this will just be a home computer. I guess I need it mainly for homework and some games.
Also, I know the Pentiums have been around much longer than the AMD, so do we know yet which one is more reliable?

Edited by StEvE21, 07 January 2006 - 03:53 PM.

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 04:51 PM

Thanks guys.
John, this will just be a home computer. I guess I need it mainly for homework and some games.

Are you talking about big demanding games (Lord of the Rings, World of Warcraft) or just the older less demanding games (Sim City 3000, Starcraft, Solitare (lol))

#6 VB4

VB4

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:08 AM

The two are very nice processors, but what most people dont know is taht AMD chips are meant for gaming Pentium chips are ment more for processing programs like AutoCAD, Photoshop and etc. So the real question is what are you going to be using your computer for and that will possibly anwser your question.

For fast computer answers, visit SparkCore. A brand new computer forum with dedicated members, who will get you the answers you need to solve all your computer problems.

#7 StEvE21

StEvE21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:10 PM

I guess I will get the pentium. I don't think I will be playing any big games like LOTR. Thanks guys.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:25 PM

Just my opinion, but unless you get heavily into using your system for multiple things at one time - or for demanding applications like AutoCAD and new games - you probably won't notice much difference between the chips.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:14 PM

I am going to agree to what usasma said as well. I love my P4, but wouldn't hesitate buying an AMD chip. Both companies have come a long way with their products. If I had to buy today, I think I would still get the Intel chip.

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#10 StEvE21

StEvE21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:08 PM

Found a good deal:
P4, 17" flat screen CRT monitor, 512mb memory, 200GB hard drive, dual layer DVD burner for $599

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:40 PM

This depends on where you're located - but the sale papers in the US have many good deals every week or two (probably better than the deal that you've got).

I'd keep checking around. Not long ago I got a Compaq for my wife's office for $250 at CompUSA (no monitor tho') after rebates (and all the rebates were received!). I can't recall the specs, but I believe it was an AMD 2700 or 2800 processor.

Do you have a monitor from an old computer? If not, you can usually pick a 17" one up for cheap at a garage sale.

#12 StEvE21

StEvE21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:19 PM

That was $599 canadian, not US.
"AMD 2700 or 2800 processor" Aren't those kinda low-end?
I want to get a new monitor because i want to keep the computer i have now too.

I found this site today. What do you guys think? (just skip to the last 2 pages if you dont want to read the whole thing)

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-1.html?tag=lnav

#13 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:14 AM

That was $599 canadian, not US.
"AMD 2700 or 2800 processor" Aren't those kinda low-end?
I want to get a new monitor because i want to keep the computer i have now too.

I found this site today. What do you guys think? (just skip to the last 2 pages if you dont want to read the whole thing)

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-1.html?tag=lnav

Kinda low-end but the way these 64 bit processors are the processing power is there I'm running a 3000+ @1.8 GHz and compared to my moms standard 32 bit Intel processor @ 3.0 GHz. Mine will smoke hers any day. The Specs on both systems are equal the only differance is the processors. But if I had the money to upgrade I would go w/ a 3500+ all the talk I seem to be hearing on other sites is that these are some of the better ones out there. Check out www.AMD.com. Also while I was out at the local Circuit City and Best Buy today they seemed to be the lowest Athlon processors that they're selling in the mid-range systems. Most of the low end systems are now running the Sempron processors.

Posted Image

#14 StEvE21

StEvE21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:22 AM

blackspyder, did you check out that site? what do you think about the results?

#15 StEvE21

StEvE21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:01 PM

Anyone look at that site yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users