Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD is Write Protected?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KWall24

KWall24

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:49 PM

So, I had a virus, it was the Windows XP Recovery fake program one, and it had made it so all of my stuff was hidden. Everything on the C:\ drive was "gone", but was actually still there. I have an external drive for all my media. It was plugged in when I got infected. I have a paranoia with infecting the external drive, so I always unplug it immediately when I see problems. Anyway, I cleaned out most, if not all, of the virus. 90% of my stuff was back to normal. So I plugged in my external, USB, Seagate 1TB GoFlex Desktop HDD. I can see almost everything in the root of the drive fine. Keyword: almost. I could tell something was wrong because my dropbox folder is in the root of my external, and the green/blue badge wasn't there.

So, I went into the folder and there was nothing there. I check the rest of the drive, and everything is hidden. I enable show hidden folders and I can see everything now, and I right click on a hidden folder, properties, and uncheck the Make Hidden box. Hit apply.

"An error occured applying attributes to the file: The media is write protected." Now, I've tried all that I can think of. I tried looking in the drive properties for a "read only" box to uncheck, I tried a cmd command for making all files not hidden, and it doesn't work. There is no physical switch for write protection. What else can I do to make it so I can write to these files/this drive? I need this drive guys...

Thanks for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:25 AM

Not sure this will let you get to external HDD, but would assume it does: My link
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#3 KWall24

KWall24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:48 AM

It doesn't work, because it won't find anything. If it helps any, I also plugged the drive into another xp machine and it has the same problem. "The media is write-protected". There is no physical switch on the drive though.

#4 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:26 AM

you might try the dos prompt and enter attrib /? to get the syntax

Or, sounds like a good question for seagate !

or do a search for: write protected usb hdd

not knowing your OS, unless I missed it in your post, there are solutions galore !

Edited by USN Vet, 05 June 2011 - 10:03 AM.

Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

<<Anyway, I cleaned out most, if not all, of the virus.>>

I'd say that your permissions are screwed up, which would indicate continued infection, IMO.

BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users