Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor won't shut off

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wildflower19

wildflower19

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:44 PM

I have a Dell E196FP monitor. I have had it about 5 years but have never had a problem with it. A few days ago the screen started to change colors after it sat for a while (not sure how long, perhaps 20 minutes) and when I tried to shut if off it would not shut off, even when I shut down the PC completely. The day that problems started with the monitor the electric had bleeped off for no more than a second - this has happened several times before when the PC was on with no ill effects. I do have a fairly good surge protector on the PC also. I pressed the menu button on the monitor to try the factory default settings (not sure if I did this correctly) but it didn't help. I don't know what else to try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:54 AM

I suspect from your description that the monitor may have entered burn-in mode. This is the sequence suggested on the Dell forums to access Factory Mode on your monitor and see if this is the cause:

* Power the monitor off
* Hold down the Exit and Menu buttons
* While holding those two down, press the power button
* Release all buttons
* Press the Menu button.

You should then be able to find the Burn-In option and if it is enabled, cancel it. An enquirer who had a similar sounding symptom to yours said they found the Burn-In setting in the Factory Reset menu option.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 wildflower19

wildflower19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:03 PM

I tried the process of turning off the monitor and holding down the Exit and Menu buttons, etc. The options available to me on the menu list were: Exit, Positioning, Image Settings, Color Settings, OSD Settings, Language and Factory Reset. I chose Factory Reset and it showed All Settings, which I clicked on also - there was nothing listed under this. I did not find the Burn-In option. Then I decided to try a self-test feature for the monitor I saw on the Dell support page. The outcome of that was when I did all the steps required, my monitor wouldn't turn on again. There was no floating dialog box. So I looked in the Device Manager for problems with the video controller, as suggested on the Dell support page. My SM bus controller wasn't there (but I knew that was missing for some time already). I found that Dell had updates for ATI, which I downloaded because it was recommended, and I found out that the SM bus controller would be called a chipset - found that on their website and downloaded that also. Now my monitor shuts off and I don't get the automatic changing colors. I haven't used a screen saver in a long time and I tried several times to "activate" one, but it will not display. When inactive it will display the Windows logo in changing positions for a short period of time, but then the screen is totally black. I did forget to mention that I was getting the auto adjust in progress message very often when I was having the monitor problem - now auto adjust message appears only if I play a game.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:29 AM

I'm sorry, I'm having difficulty working out just what your situation is now, parts of what you've said seem contradictory. Is the problem now that the monitor quickly goes to sleep when the screen saver is active? If so, does it wake up again when the computer is used (mouse movement, keypress)?
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users