Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't see old files, Invisible?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Luke Daniel

Luke Daniel

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:30 PM

This morning I thought I'd look through some old files. I am an art student so I have thousands of old works photographed and organized. The folders were missing. I ran Windows Directory Statistics to see if I could find the files, hoping that they had not been deleted by a virus or something terrible. To my surprise they still exist, exactly where they should. So, still in WinDirStat, I right click and select explore. The explorer window opens but "The folder I have selected is empty". So I return to WinDirStat, right-click an image, and this time select open. The image opens in the preview window just as it should. So I know the files exist, I just can't seem to see them in the folder.
Also, after another restart ALL files on the desktop have also vanished!
A few weeks ago I changed the user name on my computer from Luke, to Luke Daniel. I tried changing it back to just Luke but this didn't help. I can't afford to have all of these works professionally photographed a second time so I can't lose these files. Also missing is the only existing footage of my grandparents wedding (shot 55 years ago) as well as hundreds of graphic design files.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help,
Luke

Dell Inspiron E1705
Vista 32

PS
I'm getting a new laptop in 2 weeks, Dell Precision m45, so if there is a way to transfer these invisible files that could help too, but I'd like to find them asap.

Edited by Luke Daniel, 04 June 2011 - 09:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Luke Daniel

Luke Daniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:17 PM

UPDATE!

A huge number of files were marked as Hidden. I have no idea how this happened. I will be spending the rest of the night tracking down all of the invisible files and switching them back unless anyone can give me a better solution. Please someone give me a better solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users