Hi, I was recently attacked by a Trojan virus known as the XP Home Security 2011. It's a virus that uses my computer's registry to operate and shuts down any application. I went to this webpage and followed instructions to remove the virus: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011
One of the steps required that I install "FixNCR.reg" in order to fix my computer's registry. After that I was able to use Malwarebytes to successfully remove the virus files and stop their processes.
I did all of this in Safe Mode and logged in as an Administrator before carrying out these instructions. When I rebooted my PC after removing the files, here's what happened:
- Could not access Control Panel, System Information, even Volume Control
- When I attempted to change the time or other desktop settings, a Control Panel window appeared with the following: C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe "Application not found"
- Executable files led me to a small window that told me to choose the program I wanted to use to open the file, and it listed other programs
- ATT Uverse functions were gone, but I was still able to go online through my Local Area Connection.
- I can still print and open up files and that allows me to indirectly open up my applications. (whew)
What are my options? I have managed to scan my pc with Malwarebytes and Norton but they detect no problems. Everything looks normal on the desktop.
I also see the red Windows Security Alert shield but I'm afraid that it might trigger a virus.
Should I do a system restore? Thanks.