Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rundll32.exe Error Keeps Me From Accessing Control Panel

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Idra

Idra

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:29 PM

Hi, I was recently attacked by a Trojan virus known as the XP Home Security 2011. It's a virus that uses my computer's registry to operate and shuts down any application. I went to this webpage and followed instructions to remove the virus: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011

One of the steps required that I install "FixNCR.reg" in order to fix my computer's registry. After that I was able to use Malwarebytes to successfully remove the virus files and stop their processes.

I did all of this in Safe Mode and logged in as an Administrator before carrying out these instructions. When I rebooted my PC after removing the files, here's what happened:

- Could not access Control Panel, System Information, even Volume Control

- When I attempted to change the time or other desktop settings, a Control Panel window appeared with the following: C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe "Application not found"

- Executable files led me to a small window that told me to choose the program I wanted to use to open the file, and it listed other programs

- ATT Uverse functions were gone, but I was still able to go online through my Local Area Connection.

- I can still print and open up files and that allows me to indirectly open up my applications. (whew)

What are my options? I have managed to scan my pc with Malwarebytes and Norton but they detect no problems. Everything looks normal on the desktop.
I also see the red Windows Security Alert shield but I'm afraid that it might trigger a virus.

Should I do a system restore? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:51 AM

Please follow the directions for removal...which start with "If you are still having problems" and post in the appropriate forum.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users