Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Scan Assistance please

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 PCKILLER

PCKILLER

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

Hello Mad Geniuses,
I'm running a Boot Scan from Avast and it is now nearly 5 hours since it began. In watching it's progress I see I'm absolutely riddled with infections, the ones I see most often are win32:Malware-Gen and Java:Agent-HC. It has been at 80% for over an hour and by the file names is not scanning in chronological order, so I have no idea how near it's conclusion the scan is. (I know when I loaded one file or another I'm seeing was done)
First, it's quite important I have working PC's. I'm on very long term disability and earn my living only on the internet, second, I do all my banking online and frequent financial transactions, so security matters.
My "social life" is movies and games since I'm not very "mobile" which of course means I'm loading from many "questionable" or nefarious sites. So I'm going to run into viruses and spyware often, I run Avast, Superantispyware, Malwarebytes and more (but only one AV proggie of course). Here's my quandry: First, why is my PC so battered by viruses while running well known protection? Yes, I'm aware some things will get through but we're talking about 5 hours of infected files so far, it looks like every other file on my PC got hit. It appears my protection was like catching a gallon of water with a cotton ball. Second, is it time to abort this scan and just go after the Malware-Gen and Java Agent-HC infections? If this scan goes through every movie and game file on my PC it will finish around Christmas time, I don't have that long. Lastly, am I not as protected as I should be running the aforementioned proggies? I don't want to keep running into spending my entire day addressing spyware (and please don't suggest I surf safer sites, if I did that I wouldn't need the help of you good people, I'm aware the risks are higher than if I played Spongebob on Nickleodeon and I'm not 6) I have no qualms about wiping my drive clean and reformatting, but I'd have to go buy a 1 Tera HDD to back up my files first, rather not burn $100 and my entire day starting my computer from scratch. I run a dual core 32 bit Vista lappie HP G60-243CL with over 100 gigs of memory available. Oh, and I've noted it seems to be repeating scans of specific files I've already seen it do, it's not locked up or anything, the Boot Scan is still going but still at 80%
Thanks gang

Edited by Andrew, 04 June 2011 - 06:34 PM.
Mod Edit: Moved From Vista to AII - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users