Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow, Freezing, BSOD - 4th Thread - need help!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 johnbickerson

johnbickerson

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

I'm on an Inspiron 6000 running Windows XP Professional

About a month ago I either got hacked or a virus/tojan.
Most of my email addressbook on yahoo received a phony email which caused them major problems.

I did not think much of it at the time - changed my email password & moved on.

A week later my computer began moving painfully slow. It also crashes/freezes at random times (particularly when I open multiple programs).

I have tried running CCleaner, Avast and Spybot. Nothing was found. I also ran disk defragment and that did not seem to help.

ABout a week ago, it bagan giving me BSODs just about every day. This is the fourth board on bleepingcomputer on which I have sought help. A more detailed description of what has been done so far is on the three threads linked below.

I first posted in "Am I infected, What do I Do?" on May 20 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic398477.html
The Advisor was unable to get to the bottom of things & asked me to begin a new topic on the "Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Logs" board.

I posted the new topic on the "Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Logs" board on May 24 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic399375.html
The Tech on that board believes that I am free & clear of malware, but my computer is not moving any quicker. If anything, it is the same or worse.

Since he asked me to, I opened a third thread earlier today on the Windows XP forum. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic401717.html
The Advisor asked me to begin a new topic in this thread when I mentioned that in March, I began using an external hard drive (My Book Essential - WD)
I did not install any hardware with it.

Again, I began using this external HD in March but did not notice a performance difference in the computer until two months later. Countless scans are included in the previous threads (linked above).

Desperate for help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

Hi john.

The person assisting you in your XP topic was unaware you had already been through AII and the Malware Forum. He has since corrected himself in his latest post. Please return to your XP topic.

Sorry for the confusion, and any inconvenience.

To avoid further confusion, this topic is closed.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users