Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WTCompHelp

WTCompHelp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

I have a Dell E178FP with a black screen. I've checked all the connections and they are fine. I know this in fact because I can see the screen at a certain light and certain angle. However, directly it is black. I used that light/angle to adjust the brightness and contrast to max, but it is still black. Is there a back-light or something that might have gone out? I'm not sure what might be wrong anymore.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

Try the display on a different system or a different display on your system.

#3 WTCompHelp

WTCompHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:55 PM

Well I got this monitor from work. Someone was complaining that the monitor went out. I have it hooked up to dual display right now and am using the primary screen for this and the secondary is the screen with the problem. When I power up it shows the background for a brief second then goes to black.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:29 PM

Is there a back-light or something that might have gone out?

Yes. Displaying briefly at switch on does suggest a backlight fault. It can be a CCFL lamp, but is commonly faulty electrolytic capacitors, or bad solder joints on transformers or transistors.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users