Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incredibly slow after messing with MSCONFIG

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Twist360

Twist360

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:38 PM

My computer has always had a somewhat long boot time (around 5 minutes). I was recently trying to fix this issue by messing with MSCONFIG and turning off certain start up programs. Not only did doing this NOT help me, but now my computer is running incredibly sluggishly. Programs take much longer to open, physical memory is around 75-80%, I have huge amounts of lag when trying to play world of warcraft (where I've previously had none), and I have a ton of processes running including multiple SCVHOST's that i dont remember having before. I've tried a system restore and I've also tried to restore my MSCONFIG configuration, yet nothing is helping. Please help!

Also wanted to mention I have 6GB of RAM so a lack of RAM is definitely not an issue.

Edited by Twist360, 04 June 2011 - 12:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

msconfig is a diagnostic utility and should not be used for anything other than troubleshooting. EXACTLY what did you do with msconfig and can you reverse the settings to what they were before? And you said you tried system restore - what happened?

#3 Twist360

Twist360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:49 PM

I followed these instructions:

msconfig -> services -> hide all microsoft services -> uncheck these if they exist: xaudio, vongo, stllsvr,roxmediad89, installdriver table manager, cyberlink background, cyberlink task,

Then click on boot tab ->advanced options -> number of processors 2 -> maximum memory

To the best of my knowledge I restored everything back to the way it originally was.

When I tried to perform the system restore, it said that it failed. I don't have the exact error message.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

The problem is that when you make changes with msconfig you are booting in diagnostic mode. Service changes should be made from START - RUN - services.msc

Here's what I'd like you to try please. Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. What happens?

#5 Twist360

Twist360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:59 PM

Okay I've done what you asked and am currently in the process of restarting but this may take up to 15min. Please bear with me.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:02 PM

Actually, that's what I want to know - if the system still takes a long time to boot. If it does, open msconfig and go back to a normal startup. Then I suggest you post in the Am I Infected forum on this site.

#7 Twist360

Twist360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

Yea it is still taking a while to boot. I'm okay with the long boot time but I can't handle the sluggish performance and 75+ processes running on start up. I'll try posting in the other forum. Thanks.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

Yep. I'm guessing you've got an infection. Good luck and please stop back and let us know.

#9 Twist360

Twist360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:30 AM

Hi Allan,

It turns out I was not infected and had just made a really dumb mistake when I was in MSCONFIG. In MSCONFIGT > Boot > Advanced Options, I must have checked the box for "Memory Usage". That number was sent to 2048, which effectively limited my RAM to 2Gb. Not good. Once I unchecked the box and restarted, I had all 6Gb in use and everything was lightning fast again. I even got the boot-up time to improve from running all the scanning programs and removing some start up programs. So to summarize, I'm an idiot, but I'm glad I fixed the problem :)

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:38 AM

Appreciate you posting back and closing the loop. We've all made silly mistakes, but as long as you eventually figured it out and your system is running smoothly, that's all that matters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users