Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard does'nt work since laptop opening

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 alpha4345

alpha4345

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

Hello guys, after opening my netbook to check the hardware, I broke my keyboard connector (but not the cable) and I cannot use my keyboard anymore. I tried to make some contact with a folded paper, but only 10 letters worked again... Now I want a solution to this annoying problem, I don't want to pay another laptop! Here are some pictures:

http://imageshack.us/g/689/img2206o.jpg/

The first image is when the keyboard was still connected to the motherboard.

The second image is the keyboard's front.

The third image is the broken connector that I'm pointing with my finger...

The fourth image is the tinny blue cable and the broken connector...

The fifth image is my working material with the HDD, the RAM and the SD card removed...

Anything to do? :(

Thank you everyone! Alpha4345

Edited by alpha4345, 04 June 2011 - 12:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer and welcome to your worst nightmare.

What I meant by your "worst nightmare" is correcting the problem you are facing with your broken ZIF keyboard connector, it is going to be a nightmare trying to fix this problem.

I speak from personal experience, I have had Play Station 3 gaming consoles brought to me with broken ZIF connectors for the Blue-Ray drive.

Those connectors have a plastic flip lever, the flip lever can either break at its hinges, or the ZIF plastic housing can break where the lever locks into place.

Once those levers become damaged there is no way to get them to lock the cable into place securely and those connectors are a disaster to replace, because the connections to the circuit board are so close together it is impossible to solder on a new one without having solder bridges developing across most of the solder terminals.

The best advice I can offer you is to send this laptop out and have it professionally repaired by a service center that has the special equipment for re-flowing a motherboard.

Re-flowing is done in a special oven, the board is cooked at a certain temperature with the connector in place. This causes the solder to liquidize and flow the connections together without the risk of solder bridges developing.

I wish I could offer you a way to fix this yourself, but believe me when I say, doing so would be your worst nightmare.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

Uhm... First, thank you for the interest and all this valuable information. But I live in Canada and I don't know where is offered this service... If I send my computer to an electronic/repairing shop, will they be able to do it?

Alpha4345

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:16 PM

That would be a question you should ask the repair shop, chances are they will ship it out to a place that specializes in repairs such as this.

Make sure you get an estimate for the repair cost, since I am in the US only thing I can offer is web sites you could try.

I am sure you have a local RadioShack in your area and if you do, contact them and see if they can send it out for repair.

Trust me when I say if you ever tried to replace that connector yourself, you'd have to use a microscope jewelers eye piece at X30 magnification, a steady hand and a very fine tipped 15 watt soldering pencil.

It would not be too bad perhaps having only to solder a few connectors, but those types of connectors you are talking about have like anywhere from 24 to 60 connections you need to worry about and it is almost impossible not to gap the solder over two or more pins creating short circuits when doing so.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:34 PM

Ok, I'll take a look... Before going to radioshack (renamed LaSource in Canada), there's also a guy who owns his business and can repair computers too, people say that he's pretty good price/quality.

Stay tuned, I'll post some news as soon I can.

#6 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:26 PM

Ok, the third shop I went said that it will be "not that difficult". When I visited Radioshack, they said that they're not specialized in computer reparation, so I went to "Buro Plus" and the guy said that it will be ready in 1-2 days... Cost: 34.50$ CAD.

Do you think that it will be successful?

Sorry for my bad english...

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

Do you think that it will be successful?

Sorry for my bad english...

I hope it is, there should be a warranty that should cover your repair if something goes wrong.

Also there is no problem with your English, if you are from the Quebec area of Canada, so are my ancestors, although my primary language is English, I know a little bit of Canadian French.

My Father's Father was born in Quebec City Canada.

Bruce.

#8 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:59 PM

Ahhah, you guessed pretty well :) The informatic guy should call me back in the next hours... Waiting for the result!

#9 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:24 PM

Good news: the computer had been successfully repaired :D I am now tipping this post from it! The guy said to be careful with it for future operations... I think he's right...

Thank you Bruce for the help that you provided to me, I appreciate ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users