Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Problems With My New Pc

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Warpoet

Warpoet

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:16 PM

I recently built a new pc, specs as follows:

AMD64 3200
AV8-SLI Mobo running revision 1012
Maxtor 6L200S0 200GB SATA HD
PNY 7800 GT PCI-E
1GB dual channel Corsair value select RAM
Windows XP Pro OS

This has been my third PC that I built, and the others never gave me so much trouble.

I installed all the components, switched it on, installed Windows, Anti-virus, etc etc...I did notice a strange problem that the computer would sometimes hang on the Windows XP loading screen for a couple minutes, then freeze, with that little blue bar running across the screen...sometimes for nearly 2 minutes then it would start up, and sometimes it would start right up with no hanging. I also started noticing that an icon in my system tray was showing my maxtor HD as a removable hardware.

Then one day as I was on a website, BOOM...freeze. I have to hard restart the system, but I start getting errors for executable programs saying the file is corrupt. Well, I decided to go back to scratch and start over...fresh install of Windows usually fixes all, but not this time.

Then I start getting errors when im installing Windows, certain files are not installing properly. So I try again, and again until it installs properly. I start the updating process again, getting Windows updates from the MS site. Then during one of the restarts, I get a BSOD...sigh. I get perpetual restarts and have to start over again.

Ive installed Windows once again, and the Windows XP theme for the display of windows and buttons is gone. All I have is Windows Classic theme. I have no idea what is going on. Ive tested the HD twice with maxtor's diagnosis program and it returns no errors, Ive tried testing the RAM as well with no errors reported, so my only option now is the mobo...right? Any ideas of what could cause so many of these different problems? Please help me...my patience with this computer is running thin. :thumbsup:

Thank you so much in advance.

EF

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:50 PM

What are your power supply readings? An unstable power suppy can cause unexperted reboots. Also have you reseated you memory and video card.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Warpoet

Warpoet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:37 AM

Power supply readings are normal, and yes I have reseated both memory modules and the graphics card.

Another thing I should mention is the fact that after first installing Windows XP Pro, things seem fairly alright...but the more I update, Mobo drivers, Graphics drivers, Antivirus and Windows updates, the more problems I start getting with freezing at the Windows loading screen. Its like the information is locking up the system.

I also find it peculiar how the HD, which is 200GB, only shows about 130GB when I partition Windows onto it. I know drives usually show less space to partition than their actual size, but that seems a little steep in its decrease. Also the fact that it shows up as removable hardware...is that normal for a SATA drive?

Edited by Warpoet, 07 January 2006 - 11:51 AM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:04 PM

I know very little about SATA drives, but windows has a 137gb limit. Most older computers need a hard drive utility just to see the 137gb. If you partition 130gb, and 70gb you should be able to see and use the hold drive. Also NTSF format allows more usable space than FAT32.

#5 Warpoet

Warpoet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:06 PM

I have tried to repartition the drive to get two partitions, but it will only allow me to partition 130GB. Now Ive tested the drive several times with the Maxtor diagnosis tool...so could it be the motherboard SATA controller? Or might it be software related? It seems strange that sometimes Windows loads fine, other times it takes ages to load...and also sometimes when it loads it reverts back to Windows Classic mode. Any ideas?

Edited by Warpoet, 08 January 2006 - 02:20 PM.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:44 PM

Running a SATA, drive I would think your motherboard is modern enough to support 137gb partitions. I don't know your problem, but I would guess it is software related.
I'll keep looking into it.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:29 PM

You've most likely hit the 137 gB barrier with your drive (drove me crazy the first time it hit me!).

Here's a link to a fix that was posted in response to a similar problem: http://www.48bitlba.com/enablebiglba.htm

I don't have much experience with this - so try the fix above. Then, let us know if it fixes the other problems and we'll all be that much wiser! :thumbsup:

Edited to remove my foot from my mouth! :flowers:

Edited by usasma, 09 January 2006 - 01:11 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:17 PM

137GB limit? :thumbsup: Maybe that applies to IDE drives but it doesn't to SATA. My system has a single 200GB drive which XP Home SP2 was quite happy to turn into one 186GB NTFS partition.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:19 PM

D'oh! Sorry, reading too quickly! I'll shut my mouth now! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:32 AM

137GB limit? :thumbsup: Maybe that applies to IDE drives but it doesn't to SATA. My system has a single 200GB drive which XP Home SP2 was quite happy to turn into one 186GB NTFS partition.

Microsoft increased the limit with SP1 for XP and SP3 for 2000.

Warpoet
I had some similar problems with a hard-drive and it turned out to be a faulty cable. You can always try to use another one. Also have a peak in the Event viewer.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#11 Warpoet

Warpoet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:58 AM

Hmmm...youve given me a few things to try...but quick question. My copy of Windows XP Pro is pre SP1 & 2 so how can I partition the drive to its full potential?

Also I have just received an email from Maxtor saying that I might want to try reinstalling the SATA controller drivers for my motherboard and see if that helps. As far as this goes, what is the best way of doing this? I am also unfamiliar with SATA drives, and have always just had IDE ones in the past. Do I have to install the drivers before installing Windows or can I just do it after? Also which driver should I use from the motherboard disk? There are options for Nvidia 4 chipset driver, create PATA RAID driver disc, create SATA RAID driver disc.

I hope I am not getting too annoying yet ;)

Edited by Warpoet, 09 January 2006 - 12:46 PM.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:54 PM

Hmmm...youve given me a few things to try...but quick question. My copy of Windows XP Pro is pre SP1 & 2 so how can I partition the drive to its full potential?

Use a third party partitioning software like Partition Magic or Digtal Dolly

Also I have just received an email from Maxtor saying that I might want to try reinstalling the SATA controller drivers for my motherboard and see if that helps. As far as this goes, what is the best way of doing this? I am also unfamiliar with SATA drives, and have always just had IDE ones in the past. Do I have to install the drivers before installing Windows or can I just do it after? Also which driver should I use from the motherboard disk? There are options for Nvidia 4 chipset driver, create PATA RAID driver disc, create SATA RAID driver disc.

When you start the installatiion XP will prompt you to install RAID controller software before proceeding. You may want to try that.

I hope I am not getting too annoying yet ;)

I am sure that won't happen.

Good luck.

#13 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:57 PM

I know very little about SATA drives, but windows has a 137gb limit. Most older computers need a hard drive utility just to see the 137gb. If you partition 130gb, and 70gb you should be able to see and use the hold drive. Also NTSF format allows more usable space than FAT32.

Windows xp limit has been fixed in sp2, I beleive now it recognizes up to 400. And if not theres a registry value to change to allow to recognize more space.

First I would try switching out the harddrive with another, hopefully with windows installed so you can rule out bad harddrive. I dont think its a psu issue because usually the psu will display abnormal readings before it dies.
Go with Maxtor's advice and reinstall the sata control, if your unfamilar how to do so, use this guide.
ITs PDF
http://www.asrock.com/Drivers/Manual/RAID_GUIDE/SATA.pdf

#14 King ICBM

King ICBM

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:05 PM

I installed all the components, switched it on, installed Windows, Anti-virus, etc etc...I did notice a strange problem that the computer would sometimes hang on the Windows XP loading screen for a couple minutes, then freeze, with that little blue bar running across the screen...sometimes for nearly 2 minutes then it would start up, and sometimes it would start right up with no hanging. I also started noticing that an icon in my system tray was showing my maxtor HD as a removable hardware.

Then one day as I was on a website, BOOM...freeze. I have to hard restart the system, but I start getting errors for executable programs saying the file is corrupt. Well, I decided to go back to scratch and start over...fresh install of Windows usually fixes all, but not this time.

Then I start getting errors when im installing Windows, certain files are not installing properly. So I try again, and again until it installs properly. I start the updating process again, getting Windows updates from the MS site. Then during one of the restarts, I get a BSOD...sigh. I get perpetual restarts and have to start over again.

Ive installed Windows once again, and the Windows XP theme for the display of windows and buttons is gone. All I have is Windows Classic theme. I have no idea what is going on. Ive tested the HD twice with maxtor's diagnosis program and it returns no errors, Ive tried testing the RAM as well with no errors reported, so my only option now is the mobo...right? Any ideas of what could cause so many of these different problems? Please help me...my patience with this computer is running thin. :thumbsup:

Thank you so much in advance.

EF

This is exactly what is happening to my computer! It restarts randomly, sometimes it freezes at the login page, files randomly becoming corrupt, when I reformated, files randomly are not able to boot up, and my profile's XP theme disappeared...

Mine is still not fixed...

#15 Warpoet

Warpoet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:25 AM

I tried switching the SATA connecting cable from the HD to Mobo, then installed Windows, only to get this error upon completing the installation:

Windows has detected an error and has shutdown to prevent blah blah blah...Im sure you all know the BSOD

Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xABE1D459, 0xF7C66BC0, 0xF7C668C0)

gameenum.sys - Address ABE1D459 base at ABE1C000, Datestamp 367d8665

The saga continues...

Any ideas why Windows is now not installing properly? It would be easier if the problem did not keep changing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users