Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Running Slow

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 johncromeans

johncromeans

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:05 PM

Every time I get on the computer, even before I get on the internet, my computer runs EXTREMELY slow! I have tried everything imaginable to try and fix this problem. I have 70% free space in my memory!! The graphics on the computer are all distorted and blurry. Yes I do have dialup, but it shouldn't be this slow!!
It is approximately 10 times slower than it used to be...this problem started about 2 years ago and has continually gotten worse. I have put Antivirus programs on the computer as well as anti spyware programs, and nothing seems to help!! IF I could find the source of the problem it would be alot easier to figure out.

On one program it said that I had over 277,000 files that could be deleted, but I can't find where they are located. I have since then discovered several thousand files that I could delete on the my Temporary Internet files, but once deleted they show up again and again and they are the same files. And this happens directly after I have deleted them.

I stay on the internet less than an hour a day and there are several unwanted files found every single time I get on the internet. I know how to delete them but I need to delete them for good. As I have said before in my introduction I really do not have a lot of knowledge about the computer, so detailed explanations would be greatly appreciated. I am sorry for the long description, but I am at my wits end! No one else can help me solve this computer mystery.

I would appreciate a response soon, because my last resort would be to start my computer over from scratch and that is something that I will need even more help with.

-John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:28 PM

johncromeans,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My initial thoughts are that you have some form(s) of malware on your computer. To eliminate the possibility that malware is on your computer, and clean it up if it is on there. Please follow the instructions below. If your computer is in fact clean we will have a place to start and help get you running at speed again.

Run these online virus scanners:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Also this online Trojan scanner:
TrojanScan

Are you using these basic security programs?
(They're all free.)

aČ free - a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.
ewido security suite - offers protection against urgently growing threats like Trojans, Worms, Dialers, Hijackers, Spyware and Keyloggers.
Ad-Aware - A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D - Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.
Spywareblaster - A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard - A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

If not, you need to. These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

When installing ewido security suite, under Additional Options uncheck:
Install background guard
Install scan via context menu

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

If the above doesn't help rid you of the problem, then:

Read How to post a HijackThis Log.
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

Be (sluggish computer) Safe

Da Bleeping Advisor, Animal

The clean up instructions written by our own tg1911, and used with his permission.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users