Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Privacy And Safety

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 secretangel

secretangel

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:06 PM

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this question.

I have been having problems with someone online. She has taken a disliking to me for some reason and over the past 6 months or so has caused me a lot of trouble.

There is an ez board forum I visit where I knew she was a member but was told that was all she was. Because of problems on the forum (abusive posts etc) I had cause to contact the site staff via private message, email, msn. However, I have since found out that this person is actually the Site Manager and that my emails to and MSN conversations with the other site staff have been forwarded to her.

I have also been accused of sending another member of the forum abusive private messages and emails - I have never sent either.

My main questions are:-

1. can someone alter my emails/msn conversations before forwarding them to other people?

2. as the site manager could she log into my account and send private messages/emails to another
member, from me, without me knowing?

3. what can I do to protect myself online in this sort of situation?

I have blocked her on MSN but the forum is something that is important to me and I do not want to stop being part of it.

I welcome any advice on what I can do.

There is a lot of history with this person that I am not going to go into but this is really starting to upset me but do not know what I can do about it.

Thank you
Posted Image

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:18 PM

Question 1. Yes. Altering text before forwarding is rather simple to do.
Question 2. I am no expert, but I suspect as site manager, she could certainly do this.
Question 3. This is not the kind of board or forum I would return to, especially if I had been having consistent problems with what was being said/written, and thought that the staff was completely unprofessional in its conduct. No matter how important the board might be to me, I would certainly search for a replacement; and given the massive nature of the internet, I am sure I could find one in the twinkling of an eye.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for the reply John, although, unfortunately, I am now more concerned than I was previously :thumbsup: .

Is there anything else I can do to protect myself other than not visit the forum. I assume if things got very bad I would have proof that I didn't send the emails because of the ip address that they were sent from?
Posted Image

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:46 PM

I think we both foresee things getting more and more out of hand. The very fact that you would even NEED proof shows that the situation is intolerable, in my opinion.
Discontinue your membership, never visit the board again, and completely separate yourself from it is the only way to protect yourself.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:57 PM

I agree I would sever all ties with the forum in question immediately.
And if it were me, I would even consider letting my MSN account fall by the wayside, and open a new one.

Which is a bit of a pain, but as soon as you open a new account be sure to alert all of your contacts
of the change in accounts.

As an added precaution what I do as a member of forums is to not allow anyone to send e-mails. If they wish to contact me, they can send a PM from within the board.

Maybe it is just me but, but why anyone would allow that, is beyond me. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#6 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:42 AM

Thank you for the excellent advice which I have now taken.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to stop visiting the board but since I last posted on here the person accusing me of sending her messages has supposedly provided "proof" of what I have sent her.

I have now deleted my ezboard account and also closed down my hotmail account and opened a new one and I am going to have nothing more to do with the site.

Wished I'd have done it sooner but it makes me very angry that someone can get away with doing stuff like that.
Posted Image

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:56 AM

Your welcome secretangel

It is to bad you had to go to those lengths, but you are much better off.

Your internet experience is not at a total loss.
You are always welcome here. :thumbsup:

And as far as what she has said about you.
This is my philosophy. I never worry about what anyone says or thinks about me.
Unless they are someone that I respect.
Theirs are the only opinions that matter to me.
Consider the source.
And if someone does not like me, well then who cares.
That is their personality problem. Not mine. :flowers:

Edited by Scarlett, 17 January 2006 - 11:13 AM.

Posted Image

#8 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:18 AM

Thank you Scarlett. :thumbsup:

That is the only thing I am holding onto at the moment - the fact that I know that I haven't done the things they are saying I have.

It has taught me a valuable lesson though regarding my use of the internet and I will be a lot more careful in future.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users