Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Workspaces

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 macrip3

macrip3

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:52 AM

I have now upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04 Linux. It has four workspaces. What do you experienced users use with four workspaces? Give me an example, please. I want to learn more.

Thanks in Advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:53 PM

At this moment I have Firefox running in workspace 1 (and I'm here) and Calibre, an ebook management program, running in workspace 2. I just got done looking for, and downloading, a couple ebooks in workspace 1 and using Calibre to tweak their appearance and file them away in workspace 2. It's a very lightweight use, but I find it much easier than switching back and forth between two full-screen applications on my little netbook screen.

#3 macrip3

macrip3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:01 PM

Thanks, Capn Easy:

The whole Linux is cool and neat.

#4 slipp3d

slipp3d

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:22 AM

Personally I have 8 desktops running ...
I'm kinda picky about how I have things set up

desktop 1 = email (open full screen)
desktop 2 = xchat (IRC full screen)
desktop 3 = tweetdeck (twitter client)
desktop 4 = IM clients (skype & pidgin)
desktop 5 = web browser 1 & 2 (normally firefox)
desktop 6 = wine programs (steam and some programs for work)
desktop 7 = remmina (program for rdp, vnc, and ssh)
desktop 8 = media players (pandora, banshee, miro ect...)

It keeps me on task but I'm not sure what's going to happen with Gnome 3 and Unity coming down the pipe...

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:45 PM

Cube :thumbsup:

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:23 PM

I only have 2 workspaces, but rarely use more than one (running Linux Mint on Samsung netbook, btw). I typically don't have more than 2 or 3 things open at any given time (email, browser, Dropbox folder, etc.), so it's just simpler for me to Alt-Tab between applications rather than to switch workspaces. When I start working with multiple workspaces, it gets confusing..."wait, which workspace was that window in?", etc.

Just my 2 cents. :)
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#7 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:02 PM

Love the cube, cylinder, and sphere - a lot of fun stuff along with all the other Compiz effects.
Other than that, I normally just use one workspace. If I need more than one web page open for the purpose of - drag-and-drop, c/p, or reading instructions on one and implementing on another, I just tile the windows in one workspace. But then, the needs vary between users.

#8 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:55 AM

It all depends on what I'm working on, but when I'm handling tasks for my clients I usually have it set up as follows: 1) Firefox and Tabs 2) VirtualBox XP Machine 3) Files and Folders, document viewing 4) GIMP, Inkscape, graphics editing. Otherwise I base it on tasks that I'm working on, I've found it easier to use CTRL-ALT-Arrow than ALT-TAB so that I think of things in groups rather than individual applications, and it really comes in handy when you have something like an update that needs to run but don't want to watch it.

I currently run the Netbook edition of Ubuntu on my desktop and laptop, although I started logging into the normal gnome interface because I had a few issues with Unity and I love the little "favicon" view of the workspace switcher. It's really helped me get used to what groups are where. I've just recently upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04 and the new Unity interface and there has been much improvement, but it seems to be a lot harder to keep track of everything without seeing the panel applet.
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users