Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 re install created windows.old

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 steviec

steviec

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:15 AM

i recently was infected with a virus. i am running windows 7 ultimate on a 32 byte system. i re installed windows 7 and now i have a new directory called windows.old and windows.old000 they are taking up all my memory and my computer is now slow as well as the fact i can not add any more programs. i have tried to delete both of these directories but keep getting the message that i do not have permission to delete. is there a way to delete these directories or is there a program i can use to delete them? i need my memory back

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:20 AM

What kind of computer?

#3 steviec

steviec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:23 AM

an acer laptop

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:25 AM

You installed a second instance of Windows (you probably started the install from within the OS). Are you prepared to start from scratch? If so, BOOT TO THE W7 DVD and early on you'll be given the option to format before installing. Choose that option, then install the OS. Afterward remember to install the chipset driver followed by all other drivers. Then install an anti virus app and download Windows Updates (everything EXCEPT hardware / driver updates - never get them from Windows update, only from the OEM websites).

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:26 AM

Did you perform a System Restore from the Recovery Partition?

Can you also provide more information such as model number for your lap top?

#6 steviec

steviec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:27 AM

do i have to start over? i was hoping for a quick fix

#7 steviec

steviec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:31 AM

when i attempted to use the recovery feature it told me that there were no recovery points and i must reinstal windows using the disc. which is what i did and now i have all these problems . as for the model number of my computer all i can find is amd processor 2650 with 1 gigabyte and 755 megabytes available

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:51 AM

do i have to start over? i was hoping for a quick fix

Clearly you were prepared to start with a new installation. Since that's the case, and since you had / have a viral infection I would suggest a clean start. But it's up to you.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:37 PM

when i attempted to use the recovery feature it told me that there were no recovery points and i must reinstal windows using the disc. which is what i did and now i have all these problems . as for the model number of my computer all i can find is amd processor 2650 with 1 gigabyte and 755 megabytes available

Wait that is system RAM not Hard Drive Space.

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#10 steviec

steviec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:28 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/QIn46h5vD0rlSUsklWB67IN

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:28 AM

Your system only has 1Gig of RAM, and I am not sure why you are running Windows on a machine with only 1Gig of RAM, you would find much better performance by upgrading to 4Gigs of RAM or more if your motherboard/computer supports more then 2Gigs of RAM in each RAM slot, and upgrading to 64bit Windows 7.

Here is your hard drive space:

Partition ID: 
Disk #0, Partition #1
Disk Letter: C:
File System: NTFS
Volume Serial Number: 788C6F02
Size: 139GB
Used Space: 118GB (85%)
Free Space: 21.3GB (15%)

As configured your system would be much better off with Windows XP.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:42 AM

Okay, but none of that has anything to do with the original question :)

Stevie - you currently have two instances of Windows installed. As I suggested above I would start from scratch.

#13 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:58 AM

i recently was infected with a virus. i am running windows 7 ultimate on a 32 byte system. i re installed windows 7 and now i have a new directory called windows.old and windows.old000 they are taking up all my memory and my computer is now slow as well as the fact i can not add any more programs. i have tried to delete both of these directories but keep getting the message that i do not have permission to delete. is there a way to delete these directories or is there a program i can use to delete them? i need my memory back

thank you

i have had success [i do computer/building and repair when im not sleeping ]deleting those window.old folders in safe mode[hitting f8 on bootup will give you option to boot to safe mode ] ,do them one at a time ,it may take a long time to delete them so give it time.
had you chose to format the drive when reinstall you would not have ended up with these folders .

you laptop was build for Vista or XP ,so it should run win7 ,but as suggested you should get a 2 gig stick of ram to add to the 1 you have now .our household has 2 laptops running on 3 gig just fine ,
i just sold a older laptop[built for winxp] with win7 starter and 784meg ram and it worked fine ass a internet laptop .

Edited by caperjac, 05 June 2011 - 05:59 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

See if anything here helps you to delete windows.old

http://www.winvistaclub.com/f36.html

It says Vista but should work with Win7.

You may not have 2 instances of Win7 installed.

What is the Windows.old Folder ?

You might have seen the Windows.old folder in your C drive, this is because you have probably performed an upgrade or custom installation of Windows 7 or Vista, in either case your old Windows folder is renamed to Windows.old. This is done so that you can copy files from the old installation, should you need them.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/what-is-windows-old-folder-and-how-to-remove-it/

Basically it's a built-in backup method. If you don't back up your files or if you forget to backup a few things, you can retrieve them from windows.old.

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

Yes, he has two instances of Windows Installed - it's just that one is no longer "active". But the Windows.old folder is a full and complete installation.

Edited by Allan, 05 June 2011 - 11:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users