Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will not start normally and stuck in chkdsk loop

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:20 AM

Hi All , My time to post a problem -

My XP SP3 will not start any more past the splash screen.
Today I did my usual 3 monthly cleanup inside the box , blow out , check RAM was fully seated , replugged all wires etc back in and rechecked them.

Now it would not boot except for Safe Mode , so I ran a normal DiskCheck and it rebooted. Check finished OK but it will not start in any mode now.
I have done last known good , but the blue lines start to cross the Start screen and the computer decides on 2 options (by itself) -
It will go back to a Diskcheck or it will go Beep and die. I get the normal Beep as it starts but no other response.
As I can only use Safe mode, I still scanned with MBAM and SAS , Avira is the A/virus, and Comodo is the Firewall.
Any help or at least any ideas would be great please -

Thank You -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:22 AM

1) NEVER touch the ram unless there is an absolute need to do so. Reseat it? WHY????
2) Boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r
3) If still no joy, do a repair install:
Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install:http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

#3 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:39 AM

Hi Allan -
1) NEVER touch the ram unless there is an absolute need to do so. Reseat it? WHY????
I did not remove or alter the RAM , just checked the sticks were fully seated -

2) Boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r
The loop it is stuck in is the chkdsk /r that I ran as part of my normal routine when I service the machine -

Looks like the only option you have left after that is do a repair install -

What I am still trying to figure why this went down , and why a repair install is the only option ? ?

OK , unless someone else hits in 20 mins I will start the repair install

Thanks -

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:46 AM

Ram modules are more delicate than most people realize. It's easy to damage them and even easier to transfer a static charge if you aren't diligent about grounding yourself or discharging any potential static buildup before touching the inside of the system. If the system is working, why would you touch the ram? I truly don't understand.

Did you run chkdsk /r from within the recovery console? If not, please give that a shot - worst case is that it won't help. If you did, so be it.

I don't know that a repair install is your only option, or even your BEST option. But from what you've described it is my guess it will work for you. BUT - I might very well be mistaken. On the other hand, performed properly there's really no downside to trying.

I'm on my way to play in a golf tournament so I'll be gone the rest of the day. I'll make a point of checking back later to see how things went. Good luck :)

#5 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:59 AM

If the system is working, why would you touch the ram? I truly don't understand

I just (as usual) make sure the sticks are seated fully, (timber bench and on a concrete floor) - I have done this for years in the same place without problems -

Did you run chkdsk /r from within the recovery console?

chkdsk /r was from safe mode as I could not use any other method -

Go and try for a few birdies (good luck) , it is the weekend and we all need exercise -

#6 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:47 AM

Hi again -

Followed all the directions - - - - I am posting this in Safe mode with Networking -

It went through reinstalling etc but seems to have not altered at all -

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:13 PM

Click Start, then Run, type cmd, and click "Ok".
At the prompt in the command window that opens, type:
fsutil dirty query C:
and press "Enter".
Does the result of this indicate the drive is "Dirty"?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:18 PM

Yeah, I thought of that Broni - but if he is actually running with the /r switch it should take care of a dirty bit - no?

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:21 PM

Interesting that you can get to safe mode but if you try regular mode it defaults to checkdisk. Please - PLEASE run chkdsk /r from the recovery console - there is no harm in doing so. If the problem persists I'd like to try a clean boot with msconfig and see what happens. Thanks.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

if he is actually running with the /r switch it should take care of a dirty bit - no?

Actually, there is a set of commands to solve this issue, but I don't want to post them until I know the answer to my question.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

Just to clear the bit? Okay, gotcha.

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

No problem Allan :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

Thanks Broni -
Volume - C is NOT dirty - (response from check)

I hope that is good ? ? Still no probs in safe mode W/networking

Attempted normal start again and - Splash XP screen , Normal internal beep , then just died - -
EDIT -
Checkdisk command was still in Run box but it did not try to run - Just died in normal mode - Required restart

Edited by noknojon, 04 June 2011 - 05:21 PM.

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:44 PM

While in Safe Mode....

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

Sorry Broni -

No change - It still dies as the splash screen starts to run the blue line across at startup -

It is (was):huh: a desktop unit and has never had any similar problem prior to this -

Thanks -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users