Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old laptop to Stereo receiver

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hellslayer10c

hellslayer10c

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:57 AM

I have this Old out dated dell laptop (Quick Specs: 60 GB hdd, 1 gb ram, xp OS, AMD turion64 DUO CORE 1.59 MHz CPU). Now i was wondering if there was any way to turn it into a Stereo receiver using software, input addons ( ie. extra USB ports , audio jacks, etc.) or ANYTHING i need to buy to hook up to the laptop. What i would like to do is have a nice Surround sound system for my room with my Xbox, Tv, Desktop, and my Work laptop hooked up to this dell one. If anyone can give me any direction as to what I need, can, or cant do. Please leave a comment thank you for your help.

Here is a link to a insane poorly drawn example of what i want to do
http://oi55.tinypic.com/2j1q3yo.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:51 AM

None of my business...but why would you want to try to trasnform something that isn't constructed to be an audio device...into an audio device?

Seems to me much easier and more practical to use an andio receiver for such...with better performance/quality.

Computers are designed for data management, not replacing audio receivers, IMO.

Louis

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:47 AM

Hamluis is correct, they are two completely different things. I think the simplest way to do what you've drawn would be to get a decent set of surround computer speakers (ones where the sub has the amp to drive all the speakers), then use an A/V switchbox to control which of your sources runs through to the speakers at any particular time. Another laptop isn't really going to be any help for either of these functions.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users