Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SpywareStrike virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 number41guy

number41guy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:25 PM

I got the same SpywareStrike virus today as well. After a long struggle -- and lots of failed attempts, since all the removal instructions out there are for SpyAxe -- I managed to get rid of it. Here's what I did (although, fair warning, I am definitely a novice when it comes to computers):

First thing I did was disconnect from the Internet. I could get SpywareStrike uninstalled and deleted (in Safe Mode, not in Safe Mode, using a variety of methods that people battling SpyAxe had suggested), but it kept installing itself again when I rebooted.

So first thing I did was uninstall it in Control Panel. That deleted the folder in Program Files. You might also delete all your temp files, as there seemed to be another SS installer in mine.

After backing up my registry, I did regedit and searched for anything labeled SpywareStrike. Despite having uninstalled it already, I found a couple of entries and then deleted them.

Then I did what the last guy said: delete the file netwrap.dll from the system32 folder. That was definitely created at the same time I got this stupid thing, so I figured it was worth a try. After I deleted it, I went ahead and searched for that in regedit, too, and came up with another entry or two. I deleted them.

Then I rebooted and -- voila! -- no more problems. As far as I can tell, anyway. It's been a few hours.

Good luck!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 number41guy

number41guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:29 PM

I also wanted to ask about how people got it, just out of curiosity. For the last couple of weeks, I've had some sort of adware problem attached to Google. Whenever I would search, the Internet Explorer window would select and deselect itself -- like I was toggling between windows or something, even though I wasn't. Then, every few minutes, random pop-ups would come up. Sometimes they'd be for Lycos or Forbes magazine or other stupid things. Multiple scans with Ad-Aware, Spybot, etc. were no help.

So today, about two weeks later, I get this virus. It's almost like it had been incubating on my computer or something, although that could be way off-base. Like I said, I'm a novice.

Did anybody else have this problem before the virus popped up? It could be totally unrelated, but now that I've gotten rid of SpywareStrike, it doesn't happen anymore.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:50 PM

This post was orignially added to a post in the HJT forum here.

At the top of every HJT forum page is this note:

:thumbsup: Only members of the HijackThis Team or Moderators are allowed to help people with logs. Anyone else should refrain from posting to another user's log.

Please do not post to HJT logs.

Edited by KoanYorel, 06 January 2006 - 04:51 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users