Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Can't I Turn Windows Firewall On/Off?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 GWBlack

GWBlack

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:15 AM

Hi, I have Windows 7 64-bit. After loading several AV programs/scanners due to trying to eliminate a virus, I wanted to confirm my Windows Firewall was turned on. When I went to Control Panel/Windows Firewall and clicked on "Turn Windows Firewall On or Off", all I saw in the "Customize settings for each type of network" window was the button "Use recommended settings" within a box called "Update your firewall settings". When I clicked on that button, nothing happened. Contrary to the picture shown in the Windows 7 Help pages, there was no option to actually turn the firewall on/off in this particular window. My intention is to simply verify the Windows Firewall is turned on after this virus happened.

My questions are:

1) Could an AV program/scanner program that I loaded have caused the Windows Firewall to be disabled (or replaced)? How do I know which AV programs have their own built-in firewall?
2) Assuming my Windows Firewall should be turned on, how can I verify it really is turned on?

ON EDIT: In the "Services" tab of Task Manager, I noticed the status of Windows Firewall (service "MpsSvc") is indicated as "Stopped". I assume this means the firewall is inactive. Not sure why or how to make it active.

Edited by hamluis, 04 June 2011 - 07:19 AM.
Moved from AV, Firewall to Win 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:43 AM

After loading several AV programs/scanners

What programs/scanners? By loading, do you mean installed? What did they report/reveal/remove/quarantine/heal...etc? After scanning, did you uninstall all but one AV? If so, how did you uninstall them? Need more info.

due to trying to eliminate a virus

I am not a malware removal expert, but I strongly suggest you post in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum. It seems to me you still are/may be infected and/or have lingering after effects of the infection.

When I clicked on that button, nothing happened....there was no option to actually turn the firewall on/off in this particular window

This is not good. See above.

Could an AV program/scanner program that I loaded have caused the Windows Firewall to be disabled (or replaced)?

Short answer: Yes. If you installed a "Security Suite" I believe they include a Firewall, which may disable the Windows Firewall by default (I've never used a "Suite" so forgive my ignorance on this) Could also be the malware. Could be.....too many variables. Again, Need more info.

Assuming my Windows Firewall should be turned on, how can I verify it really is turned on... Not sure why or how to make it active.

This may help: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/cant-turn-on-windows-7-firewall/430ae342-e16d-4b49-a726-20510bd559c4

Method 1: Please run "services.msc", stop "Windows Event Controller" service first, then make sure "Base Filtering Engine" service is started.
In the Start Menu type devmgmt.msc, and open Device Manager. On the View tab, choose "Devices by connection" and put a check next to "Show hidden devices". Look for Windows Firewall Authorization Driver (it will have a gold gear icon).Double-click that, and on the Driver tab, make sure the Startup type is set to "Demand".
Then start "Windows Firewall" service, and check if the issue gets resolved.

Also check Control Panel>> Action Center>> Expand "Security" Tab

Posted Image

Edited by Union_Thug, 04 June 2011 - 06:01 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:21 AM

There should only be one AV program installed on a system at any time. I suggest you uninstall all AV programs currently on the system...and then reinstall one of your choice.

Installing more than one can create system problems.

You currently have an open malware topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic399207.html/page__p__2261111__fromsearch__1#entry2261111 and I suspect that this needs to be reoslved...before trying to treat possible symptoms of an infection. Please respond to that topic.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. After resolution of your open Am I Infected topic...if you still have issues, this topic may be reopened...just send a PM to me or any other Mod.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 June 2011 - 07:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users