Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent System Shutdown - Bad Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bit Monkey

Bit Monkey

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:31 PM

Hello,

I just recently bought a MSI H61M-P23 Mobo that has 4GB DDR3 RAM, an Intel Core i3-2100 processor and a 650W ULTRA Power supply. After assembling the rig, I confirmed all memory, processor, HDD, DVD drive and everything was correct in BIOS. Processor temps held at about 40 Degress Cel. and the system at 23 Degrees Cel as well. After confirming all is well in BIOS, I put in the Windows 7 OEM disc and booted. Everytime it booted to the OEM disc it said "Windows is reading Files" or something like that, then when the reading got to 100% the system would shut down and restart. Sometimes the system would shut down and restart after shutting down and restarting! I put in Hiren's Boot on a USB stick and tried booting into the Mint- Windows XP OS on there, but at different times the system would shutdown and restart before getting to the XP desktop. I tried booting from Hiren's from an actual CD and got the same results intermittenly.

The only times the system doesn't shutdown and restart is if I'm in BIOS or run Mem-test x86 from the Hiren's disc/USB stick. I've tried switching the Power supply, taking the RAM sticks out and using them on another computer (they worked fine), using a good graphics card, only plugging the VGA, Mouse, and keyboard into the Computer, but I still get the same results when trying to boot into Hiren's or install windows. The only thing I can think of is that the Mobo is bad. Is there any agreement to this diagnosis? Are bad Mobos known to cause this problem? Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:18 PM

If it's cycling itself on the restart it has to be throwing a BSOD. Try hitting the f8 button upon boot and get to the advanced boot menu and select "disable automatic restart upon system failure". (I didn't see you had an OS installed so that test method may not work). Now given the sound of it is could very well be the Mobo, but I wouldn't rule out the HDD. Do you know how to check the caps on the Mobo?

#3 Bit Monkey

Bit Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:29 PM

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the reply! Oddly, this problem turned out to be Bad RAM although the Memtest86 scans passed. Just curious though, provided it's not a huge question (else tell me to Google), but how would you check the Mobo Caps? Again, thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users