Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 used_and_under_oath24

used_and_under_oath24

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:25 PM

Can someone help me? I have a couple CDs, but they're copyright protected and I can't convert them to an AAC file to put on my iTunes. I tried ripping them in Windows Media Player, but when I click the "Rip" tab, there's nothing there to choose to rip! Anyone know what I can do??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:36 PM

All CDs (music and data: games utils etc. except for your CDs that you burned unless you make it copyright protected) are copyright protected. The only way I have have encountered this problem, is when I have a data CD in a second drive.

Also, I think that you should have no problem converting to AAC, because I did the same thing when I converted to OGG for Hard Truck: Pedal to the Metal. I haven't encountered that kind of problem, yet.

Edited by legoman786, 06 January 2006 - 04:38 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 used_and_under_oath24

used_and_under_oath24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:41 PM

I only have one drive, so there's no way there's a data disc in a second drive. But none of my CDs have a "Content Protected, see reverse" label on the CD case, these two do and it shows you how to put them onto your computer, but I can't figure out how to convert either one of them. I try to do it in iTunes, but it says it can't be converted. Weird thing is, the copyright's supposed to be on there, so that you can't copy the CDs, well these have options on the autorun to burn them, so I don't know why I can't convert them.

#4 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:43 PM

These actually say that they're copyright protected? Never encountered that problem with an enhanced music CD before. I'm truly sorry, but I cannot help you farther.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#5 used_and_under_oath24

used_and_under_oath24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:53 PM

Thanks anyway, it's just bugging me that i paid for these cds, but I'll rarely listen to them, cause all I listen to are my iTunes and iPod.

#6 used_and_under_oath24

used_and_under_oath24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:51 AM

iTunes says something about not being able to convert the tracks and if i have the original CD then it'll work, but that's what i'm using.. can anyone help?

#7 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:06 PM

Can you play the cd normally in your computer? If so, then this might help:

Audio Recorder for Free

This will record any sound on your computer. If you can hear it, this will record it. Once you install it, open it up, go into "Settings," click the "recording source" tab, make sure the "recording device" is set to "stereo mix," and your ready! You can pick which format you want to record (wma, wav, or mp3), and where you want the file to save to. It's pretty easy to use, but there's a readme included, just in case.

Hit the record button, then play the cd, and it will record what you hear. The downsides are that you have to listen to the entire cd to record it, and you will probably have to edit the soundfiles when you are done ( I use Wavepad).

Another method I have heard about is to use this:

Exact Audio Copy

I have heard that this will completly bypass the copy protection, but I have not tried this, so I have no clue if it's true.

I have a copy protected cd, too. Its annoying to know that even though you legally bought the cd, you can't do what you want with it :thumbsup: ! I hope this helps! Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users