Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor goes to sleep and does not wake up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alpop

alpop

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:23 PM

Hi friends, I recently decided to reformat my computer on which I had vista (I've done this several times before without any incidents). During the formatting, the monitor went black and showed a small window with the message "monitor goes to sleep"; neither the mouse nor the keyboard could wake it up but the computer was running normally. I waited a few hours( to allow the vista to be reinstalled from the recovery partition) and then I turned the computer off from the button. When I turned it on the first thing I saw was a line on a black screen which said that there was an error in formatting the hard disk... and nothing else. Since I could not start the formatting process again, I used an old cd with XP and tried to install xp (I assumed that formatting from a cd would erase my partition C and the recovery partition D). And here is my problem: after 10-15 minutes, during the instalation of xp, the monitor went to a deep sleep again. I left the pc running for an hour or more to let xp to install and then I turned it off. When I turned it on xp was booted but it saw only 131 gb of my 500 gb, having only one partition. After 10-15 minutes of being awake the monitor went to sleep again. I tried to change the settings for the monitor but there is no sleep option, nor hybernation, only turn off monitor and turn off pc. Somebody told me that I may have rootkits and formatting does not erase the master boot record and I should use kill disk. I did, but with the monitor going to sleep I was not able to watch the entire process and controll it, or respond to any questions. So the kill disk erased the hard again and I reinstalled the xp but there is no difference, the monitor still goes to sleep afte about 15 minutes, the computer does not see the internet connection (probably I'm missing a lot of drivers)and I cannot do any updates. I conected another monitor and it did the same, so the problem is not from the monitor.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
alpop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:53 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

You did not post your system make and model number, if you can provide that information that would be great! :wink:

Being that your monitor is going to sleep before any operating system is installed is a possible indication that your system BIOS is putting the monitor to sleep.

To stop this from happening, next time you boot up your system look on the screen for any prompts to enter setup, it may be F2 or DELETE.

Once you are in your BIOS setup utility, look for a possible menu heading called POWER or POWER MENU.

Look to see if any options are available that relate to the monitor or a possible mention of suspend mode or video off mode.

Check to see if any of those options are active or enabled, if they are select and change it to DISABLED.

Save the changes and exit.

Try installing your operating system again, in doing so, if you are installing Windows XP or up in NTFS format, there should be an option when booted to the installation disk to view any partitions or volumes which have windows installations on them.

It is here that you should be able to delete or remove any partitions that are on the hard drive.

If you really want to wipe the drive clean before installing another copy of windows, you can use one of two free partitioning programs to view the hard drives and delete those partitions.

Those programs can be downloaded as ISO images and burned to a CD-R disk and when completed, they can be booted to when the system is started up.

Here are two such programs listed below.

G parted http://gparted.org/download.php

EASEUS http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 alpop

alpop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

Bruce, thank you for your warm and elaborate reply. Here is the info requested: The computer is HP, model a6500f, the monitor is also Hp, model w2207h; they are about 4 years old. A few years ago I bought and installed a video card to improve the video performance(and everything has been ok). Today I wiped the disc and I installed xp again. No difference. The monitor still goes to sleep after 16-17 minutes from turning on, the only partition is 131 gb instead of 500 gb, and I cannot connect to internet. I noticed that when the monitor goes to sleep, a fan starts in the same moment, and I'm thinking that maybe the video card gets overheated and that's why the monitor goes to sleep and the fan starts? Am I on the right track?
I went in BIOS and the POWER menu has only two options:
After AC Powr Failute [Stay OFF]
XD (execute disable) [enabled]
I disabled the second one (XD) but there is no difference. I'm thinking to remove the video card installed by me years ago and see if there is any difference. What do you think?
Thanks again.
alpop

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:01 AM

I am not sure if you have reading through the other forums, but there is currently another member who has the same computer system as you who is experiencing BSOD issues.

In case you are interested in following that thread here is the link to it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic402643.html

Here is the HP support pages for your computer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3740339&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

You should also read about this advisory concerning this product from HP by clicking this link below.

Preventing Non-System Disk Errors on Computers with Seagate Drives

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01676224&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3740339

Now from my understanding your computer came with Windows Vista installed, so it looks like you are attempting to install Windows XP instead.

You stated in your last reply the following: the only partition is 131 gb instead of 500 gb I have to wonder where the other 369 Gb went to.

Any recovery partition would not consume that much disk space.

So I have to question if the other 369 GB of space is being consumed by another partition.

Size of Disk Drive Does Not Match Specifications (Windows 7 and Windows Vista)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01179504&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&site=null&lang=en&product=3740339&key=null

You can try removing the video card and I am not sure if you have on-board video or not, but if you do you can try switching over to that, or installing another known working video card.

Also this might apply to your situation:

Flat Panel Monitor Displays Message about No Signal, Signal out of Range, Sleep, or Power Save

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00061509&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&site=null&lang=en&key=null&product=3740339

There is a lot of information on that link above that pertains to your issue, please read through this page carefully for various solutions.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 June 2011 - 09:08 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 alpop

alpop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:34 PM

Thanks Bruce, I'll read and I'll come back when I have news.
alpop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users