Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

weird error and then wiped hard drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 malik3x

malik3x

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

i'm having this very strange problem with my brothers laptop.

it's a dell latitude, 1 year old.

his laptop suddenly crashed and when the laptop booted it said: "no boot sector on internal hard drive"
i tried repairing the boot sector with the windows repair function, but the hard drive is just empty... nothing to repair.

then i tried to boot off a ubuntu live cd. which worked. and showed me an empty hard drive with the_maximum_capacity_of_the_drive_GB of unallocated space.

since that i reinstalled windows 7 two times, and stopped working after an hour or so. i installed ubuntu, which worked for several days. then i tried windows 7 again (clean install).

and then i kept working on the laptop for a couple of hours until the "crash" happened. all the programs stopped working suddenly. when i opened anything i was shown this error:

illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion

after that everything is lost if i turn the computer off. and i'm back at an empty unformatted hard drive.

it's really weird. i changed the sata operation mode in the bios to different options before every installation of windows.

didn't try xp, because i don't have dell-xp cd's .

has anybody encountered anything similar to this? is the hard drive broken? i guess not because ubuntu works. and windows 7 also, but it just goes away suddenly...

here's a video (shot in portraitmode) of the event...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1797730/wind7.MOV

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:34 PM

Run a Dell diagnostic to make sure all the hardware is functioning properly; but by the sounds of it you may be looking at a failing HDD.

#3 malik3x

malik3x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:29 AM

Run a Dell diagnostic to make sure all the hardware is functioning properly; but by the sounds of it you may be looking at a failing HDD.

everything passed the quick diagnostics.

i'm running the extended test now.

i thought about a failing hdd too, but why is it working in ubuntu?

#4 malik3x

malik3x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:06 PM

everything passed

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/1797730/1/e6400?h=28b651

i'll try to borrow a hard drive and see if it helps, but it won't matter i guess if this one has no errors?

#5 malik3x

malik3x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:06 AM

did't work out with another hard drive either...

this is bad right?

i guess he'll have to learn ubuntu...

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:38 AM

Files tend to disappear when there are file system/partition problems, which does not mean that the hard drive itself is bad.

I would run the (long version) appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive.

If that exhibits no problems for the drive, then I would try recovery software...to see if it can read the drive.

My experience with file system/partition problems indicates that deleting the partition and reinstalling is the only solution I can count on.

<<...did't work out with another hard drive either...>>

Not sure what you mean.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2011 - 08:53 AM.

#7 malik3x

malik3x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:46 PM

<<...did't work out with another hard drive either...>>

i meant putting another hard drive in the laptop didn't work either. i had the same problem.

but after putting back the original hard drive and trying again, it just worked... :thumbsup:

don't know what happend.

but thanks for the help!!

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

running the ubuntu live cd will tell you nothing about you hdd as it runs from the cd-rom and only uses your ram ,not your harddrive

i agree with humluis ..time to format and reinstall windows

Edited by caperjac, 08 June 2011 - 06:56 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#9 malik3x

malik3x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:58 AM

i installed ubuntu and that was working.

"time to format" i did 10 formats and clean installs. i don't know what was wrong with the computer...

but now it's working for some weird reason...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users