Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows xp recovery rouge anti virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 twore

twore

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

I have seen three computers with this or its variant on vista. The problem I am having is when The machines are clean All profiles are gone as is all of my documents. The data is still there it just can't be seen. I have removed the drives and copied the my docs folder to another computer running XP pro. After copying I can see the data but when I put the data on any machine running that os the data is empty but the properties show all the data is there. I have changed all kind of atributes on the folders to no avail.
Like I said this is the third computer that this has happend to this week.
Any advice would be helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

Worth a look, XP Recovery Uninstall Guide .

Louis

#3 twore

twore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for the info, worked like a charm. I have had 2 machines come in today that were infected with this over the weekend, both are happy campers.
A note of warning if you hang an infected hard drive on another machines controller to get files, the hidden atribute comes with the file, so it fruitile to do this as a short cut.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:50 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users