Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reallocated sector count? Failing hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 frank11111

frank11111

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

I'm running XP service pack 3, This is what Speccy says about my drive: 313GB Hitachi HDT725032VLA SCSI Disk Device (ATA)

I used Pass Marks DiskCheckup to scan my hard drive and the only thing highlighted was "reallocated sector count" and it gave me the following values:
Value: 1
Worst: 1
Threshold: 5
Raw Value: 1895

I got some advice that I should back up and do a low level reformat and check to see if more bad sectors pop up and to trash the HD if they do. Would the reformat really solve the problem or just hide it only to have my hard drive die on me without warning?

Also is there anything I can do to be more sure that my hard drive is about to fail before I replace it? I had no idea anything was wrong until I used a SMART scan built into SpeedFan just for the hell of it. My computer seems normal and I didn't get any warnings from it. Check disk works without reporting problems if i run it with full access to the drive.

It might help me to understand more if someone could explain what the above values mean (value/worst/threshold/raw value), I tried googling but it hasn't been helpful

What do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:06 PM

download the tools that are designed for your drive.

Downloads for your Hitachi Drive

Run the Hitachi Drive Fitness Tools.

#3 frank11111

frank11111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:35 PM

In their manual it say the Fitness Test can repair corrupt sectors but it will delete any data that is in them. If I haven't experienced any data loss as of now that means I have nothing to lose by running the repair function right?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

What does the drive fitness test say, does it say FAIL?

#5 frank11111

frank11111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:36 PM

I haven't run it yet, I need to get a blank cd but I can't at the moment. I was just reading their manual so I would be prepared.

It does say FAIL in Belarc Advisor, GSmart Control and DiskCheckup. Also I turned SMART on in BIOS and in the POST message it says to back up and replace the drive. I'm pretty satisfied that the disk is ruined but I want to try the Hitachi test/repair before buying a new one.

#6 lti

lti

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:59 PM

When there are that many bad sectors, you need to replace the drive. Hitachi's repair tool can not prevent more bad sectors from appearing. Actually, I don't see the point in using that program. Back up the drive as it is and replace it immediately.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:17 PM

FWIW: The problem with bad sectors is not the sectors themselves...chkdsk /r can recover/move file data from bad sectors to good ones. The problem is that the appearance of bad sectors is often interpreted to indicate that there is a hardware problem with the drive.

Bad Sectors On Hard Drives - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1583&page=3

Bad Sectors on Hard Disk - http://www.datarecovery.com.sg/data_recovery/bad_sector_on_hard_disk.htm

I did a check last week of one of my 500GB drives...reflects a total of 971,773,168 sectors.

Louis

#8 frank11111

frank11111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:51 PM

Are there any good tutorials for buying a new hard drive? I need to buy a new one but I don't know how to make sure it is compatible with my other hardware.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:06 PM

Basically there are only two types of drives based on the interface (connectors) IDE or PATA and SATA.
Sata drives have become the standard.

If you provide the make/model of the system we can tell you which it takes.
Also we need to know the version of Windows you are running to get you the drivers needed.

Make sure to backup your data as soon as you can.

Replacing the drive is an easy process but you will need to reinstall Windows, all drivers and programs that you have.
It can be a little time consuming, several hours easily.

Do you have a Windows cd and/or restoration cd's that may have come with the system?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:19 AM

Eyesee you forgot to mention SCSI and their connectors.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:26 PM

Drive listed in initial post is SATA, http://discountechnology.com/Hitachi-Deskstar-T7K500-320GB-7-2K-SATA-Hard-Drives-0A33435 .

Some boards report SATA drives as SCSI in the BIOS.

Louis

#12 frank11111

frank11111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:02 PM

I ordered a new SATA hard drive which is still on its way. I still have my windows cd so reinstalling windows won't be a problem. I moved any important programs and data on to an external hard drive and I'll just move them over once the HD is installed. As far as downloading drivers will I be able to just connect to the internet and update in device manager or do I need to DL certain ones before my internet connection will work?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:13 PM

Answer depends on what drivers are in windows cache...safe bet is to download and burn all drivers to CD and not rely on Windows. The driver update function for Windows is not to be trusted :), the system/motherboard manufacturer websites are reliable sources of drivers.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users