Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused how a new drive appeared after backups?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 funlover

funlover

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:21 PM

Ok so I probably shouldn't have tried 3 new software backup programs in same day, but I was trying to see which program I liked best.

The 3 are Paragon Backup & Recovery (Advanced) Free, FBackup & Macrium Reflect Free.
I started with a 500g external drive that had about 400g free space.
With Paragon, I wasn't sure which to do, so I first selected a "Transfer", then I did a "Backup". I didn't ask for a new partition.

With Macrium I selected Create a "Backup Image of an Entire disk". I didn't ask for a new partition here either.

With FBackup I just selected a backup of My Documents.

This morning I noticed a new drive in Computer with exactly the same properties as my C drive. I went to Macrium and clicked on "Browse an image or backup file". After doing that another drive with the exact same properties showed up in Computer??? Just to make sure that was what did it, I again "Browsed an image or backup file" and another drive showed up. What the heck is this all about?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:15 PM

It may be a 'virtual' drive http://www.macrium.com/

Restore individual files and folders
Create a 'Virtual' drive in Windows Explorer and recover selected files and directories using simple copy and paste operations.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

Thank you Jaycee for answering. I followed the link and searched for virtual, but found nothing. I don't see anything in the software either. What is the purpose of a virtual drive?

#4 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:08 PM

Well I found this link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd440865(WS.10).aspx#four. Maybe this will explain what they are for. I still would like to know how they were created though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users