Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing vehicle hail damage

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:12 AM

We had a pretty wicked storm here the other night. Two waves. One of the worst storms I have seen in a long time.
The hail came down in buckets and was golf ball to base ball size or better.

Some cars were absolutely totaled because of hail & looked like someone beat them with a baseball bat.
Mine got a few pretty good dings on it. I don't think I can justify an insurance claim as that's almost always a sure way for them to raise my rates.

Anyone know how to remove minor hail damage?

I have heard from a couple of people to wait for a couple of really hot days 100+ & park the car in the sun so it gets good and hot. Get a 5 gallon bucket & fill it with ice & water and let it get really cold. Slowly pour the bucket of ice over the car. Or rub dry ice over the dings. The sudden temperature change will pop them out.
This sounds logical.

Anyone ever heard of this or tried it before?
I don't want to mar the paint.
In the beginning there was the command line.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

Don't know about dry Ice and such. Never tried it.
There was some dent fixing system that use to be shown on infomercials. Had one about 8 years ago. It used suction cups and some sort of adhesive, (maybe a hot melt?)
Sorry I don,t remember the details. I do remember that it worked fairly well on shallow large dents ans did not hurt the paint.
Some body shops will have a more professional version that will pull out the dent and not hurt the paint.
Depending on the dent and the shop they may not charge if this procedure does not work.
Small diameter deep dents will be harder to fix this way.
Good Luck

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:28 AM

The product you are referring to is called Pops A Dent.
It has mostly bad reviews
I am leery of those kind of products from TV. They are all 19.95 too.

#4 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

I do think that that was it. I can only report that after brushing my wife's vehicle against a tree in my yard :wacko: it did take out my offending divot and got me out of the dog house. :thumbup2:

#5 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:35 PM

Eyesee, Look into a dent puller. That's what the auto repair shops use here. Making a claim under your comprehensive shouldn't raise your rates. Now having an accident and using your collsion coverage will get you.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

Thanks coles1mom
Looks lite AutoZone has them & they're pretty cheap.
Might do the trick but they are probably sold out.

Lots of cars got a lot more damage than mine so I consider myself lucky!

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:19 PM

Lucky you, last year in Melbourne we had a really bad hail storm and it killed my uncle's rare 98 STI from Japan <_<

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

You're welcome Eyesee. Just glad y'all are ok.

#9 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,727 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:39 PM

Call your insurance. A claim against your comprehensive should not affect your rates. And it's not as if you are the only one in the area with hail damage - the insurance company is probably well aware and will expedite the claims. You *might* also find that the deductible you have on comprehensive is lower than that on your collision.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

Hail damage is considered an 'Act of God' and therefore insurance cos. cannot raise your rates as a result of your claim. There was nothing you could have done to prevent the damage. Call your company and see how you should proceed.

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:15 PM

I tried to contact my insurance agent today.
BEEP BEEP BEEP
Wonder why?

They are literally around the corner from my office and swamped, as all other insurance agencies are.
This is a small town and a very good portion of people are in a worse boat than me.

I have lived in the midwest all my life.
That was a wicked storm!!

#12 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:33 PM

Eyesee, Colesmom1 is on the right track, those things work wonders on small dents and dings that don't require paint. However most times hail, deer, chipped windshields, and the like are covered by insurance at very low cost to yourself and in most cases no premium increase (unless you are me and then the premium raises if the wind blows any direction or no direction at all)

Paintless dent remover @ Harbor Freight, in store purchase only and my other tool sites aren't showing one similar in price. A little tip, if the hot glue isn't holding the suction cup on tight enough, use super glue that dissolves in alcohol (most types do but some use acetone,fingernail polish remover, and that"s a no no on paint) flush the surface of the car with water after removing the cup with alcohol and when you finish the whole job a good wash wax buff job is required (alcohol destroys the wax but not the underlying clearcoat).

Posted Image

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:51 PM

Ive heard that sometimes with many dents if you take some dry ice on a very hot day, and put a small piece of dry ice inside the dent the sudden change in temperatures will pop them out.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#14 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:25 AM

Thanks guys for the input.

The car is kind of sentimental in a way to me.
Mom gave it to me a few years ago, shortly before she died.

Its a nice car. 2005 Toyota Corolla. Gets great mileage. No miles on it either.
Mom never drove it over 45 mph. And literally only drove it to go to church and the grocery store.

That was her last gift to me so I want to take care of it.

#15 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:59 AM

Thanks guys for the input.

The car is kind of sentimental in a way to me.
Mom gave it to me a few years ago, shortly before she died.

Its a nice car. 2005 Toyota Corolla. Gets great mileage. No miles on it either.
Mom never drove it over 45 mph. And literally only drove it to go to church and the grocery store.

That was her last gift to me so I want to take care of it.

How sweet of her to give it to you as a gift. The Toyota Corolla is indeed a nice car, my dad manufacture Toyota cars at his work. At the moment the halving the production of cars due to the Japan tsunami.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users