Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Rogue Is Spyaxe Clone

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:45 PM

New rogue is SpyAxe clone
Posted by Suzi Turner @ 10:01 pm

I just learned about new supposed anti-spyware program, an identical twin to SpyAxe. SpyAxe got number one on the 2005 top ten rogue anti-spyware list. This new app is called SpywareStrike and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it is downloaded with spyware just like its twin SpyAxe. the SpywareStrike website is identical to the SpyAxe site except for the name.

blogs.zdnet.com
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jkurd

Jkurd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:16 AM

I went through the processes for removing Spyaxe and Smitfraud, but I still had the annoying "Virus Alert" icon in my taskbar, and Spywarestrike kept installing itself. The problem file was C:Windows/system32/netwrap.dll. It was hard to remove, because it kept running, even in safe mode. What I ended up doing was restarting in safe mode with command prompt, navigating to the System32 folder, and deleting it with the "del netwrap.dll" command. Now I'm free!

#3 Jubo

Jubo

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:22 AM

If you haven't done so already, then it's also a good idea to update the Java installation. You can verify whether you have the most up-to-date version at: http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp. If not then you can download the new version from http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp.

The MVP Hosts file will also prevent you from loading these website. For more information visit this site: Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:34 AM

There is a guide on removing SpywareStrike here:

How To Remove Spywarestrike And Netwrap.dll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users