Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioning a Hard Drive?.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:43 AM

I am intending to reformat my PC and wonder if it would be more sensible to create a partition on my hard drive for the windows operating system leaving the rest of the drive free for files programs etc. Can anyone point me to a tutorial or such detailing how I should approach this. The hard drive is 500GB and I would particularly like to know how big a partition is needed for the Win7 OS?. Is this a difficult process to do for someone with reasonable PC skills but certainly not an expert?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:50 AM

I'm a big believer in multiple partitions. The biggest advantage is separating data from the OS. This makes it easier to backup your data AND, if you ever have to blow away and reinstall the OS, your data is still safe. If you make your W7 partition 50 Gb or larger you're fine. Keep in mind programs do NOT need to be installed to C: drive - you always have the option to install them on a different partition. Ditto your My Documents folder - you can move it wherever you like. Personally, I have 5-6 partitions on every hd - but I'm a bit anal :)

Boot to the W7 dvd and early on you'll be given the option to delete your existing partition and create new ones. Couldn't be easier.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:08 AM

Thanks for the reply Allan, how big would you recommend for the Win7 partition or is 50GB more than adequate. Size is not a problem as I have a 1TB external drive as well as the 500GB internal one?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:26 AM

As I said in my post above, 50Gb is fine. My W7 partition is 110Gb and after almost 2 years there is still 80Gb free (I keep My Documents on E: drive and only install a few apps on c:, the rest go on other partitions). But go ahead and make it 100Gb if you like and you'll never have to be concerned.

Edited by Allan, 03 June 2011 - 09:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users