Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG wants to restart

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JXBlack

JXBlack

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:07 AM

Everytime I boot my computer AVG reports a virus and asks me to put it in the vault and to restart my computer.

What it says is wrong is RTHDCPL.EXE. When I looked this up on google I see its a program that windows requires?

I'm confused.

Should I just continue to ignore the AVG recommendation ??

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:12 AM

RTHDCPL.EXE

It's in the Startup List, Entry 3 of 'Top Keep Entries'
'This is a valid program that is required to run at startup.'

Could be a false positive, can you report it to AVG, through your AVG program.

Do not delete, you can have AVG ignore it.

Run an online scanner (e.g. ESET) as a double check.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:16 AM

Ummmm - no. It is associated with Realtek and can absolutely be disabled at startup (I believe it is the control panel applet for Realtek). Download and run Mike Lin's Startup Control panel and uncheck the entry (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml)

Edited by Allan, 03 June 2011 - 07:17 AM.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:51 AM

Allan you are correct. It is not an essential windows program, RTHDCPL.EXE file is from Realtek sound cards, it's their HD audio file manager and control panel, hardly essential and can be launched manually anytime a user needs it. The actual hard drive location and folder SHOULD be in your windows folder or system32 folder. (system32\RTHDCPL.EXE or windows\RTHDCPL.EXE)

Likely a false positive from AVG, IMO >>>> UNLESS it's in a location other than your windows folder, IMO.<<<<

You can always upload the file to VirusTotal (or similar) for a second opinion & peace of mind.

FWIW, on my Win 7 x64 system the file is ravcpl64.exe and I have disabled it with Autoruns.
[attachment=98825:real.PNG]

EDIT TO ADD: @petewills: I posted the above information ONLY to supply more information which I feel addresses the OP's question: >> When I looked this up on google I see its a program that windows requires?<< I also NEVER suggested to the OP to ignore the AVG warning, but to double check it by uploading to VirusTotal, and also to IMPORTANT>>>check the location of the file<<<IMPORTANT --"Likely a false positive..... UNLESS it's in a location other than your windows folder, <<<<

I never suggested that you were "incorrect", nor was/is it my intention to EVER offend anyone @BC--- my only intentions were/are to supply more info to the OP.

Edited by Union_Thug, 03 June 2011 - 03:53 PM.

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:56 AM

I was just following BC's own Startup List.

I also prefer to address problems and I don't think my post was incorrect.

May not be essential, but it is valid and I would prefer to know why AVG didn't like the file. :)

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:00 AM

Okay, let's not argue. As for the OP's question, the file can be disabled without consequence. The likelihood is a false positive, but as Union Thug suggests it's easy enough to check the file with a second scanner.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:31 AM

It would help to see the exact onscreen message contents.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users