Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't uninstall Symantec Antivirus (corp. edition)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Brian2010

Brian2010

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:38 PM

This used to be a corporate PC that has/had Symantec Antivirus running. However, the computer had a ton of viruses that I now believe are wiped clean with combofix and Maylwarebytes. I attemtpted to uninstall all Symantec antivirus programs as best I could since it was a corporate pc and was not getting updates in any case. Now, every time I right click a file, Symantec tries to install. A window will pop up that says "Please wait while Windows configures Symantic AntiVirus."

After a bit of time another window pops up with "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available.

Insert the 'Symantec Antivirus' disk and click OK."

There is the 'OK','Cancel','Browse' buttons and the brouwse button has "Use source: 1". The 1 is prefilled.

I do not have the CD for this nor the desire to load it. So, I click cancel I tried to uninstall the program but it can't find the .msi installer file so it backs out of the uninstall and returns the error "Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product Symantec Antivirus. The windows installer can't continue."

Any suggestions? It's annoying for this to pop up anytime when handling files. Thanks in advance.

Brian

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:42 PM

Try this: Norton Removal Tool

#3 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:44 PM

Hello Brian,

Try this link, and see if that helps.

bloopie

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:45 PM

I agree with Cryptodan about the Norton Removal tool.

What is the intent of the system now that it has transfered ownership?
The best thing to do in this case, as you never know what the previous owner did, is a clean install.

Is that an option?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:56 PM

If these links are not working, you can try the above from here.

bloopie

#6 Brian2010

Brian2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:48 AM

Hello,

Thanks for all the advice. The Norton uninstaller did not work. The intention is to make the PC a home use PC as it's not used in the corporate world any longer. I don't have, nor want, Norton on the computer. So, I can't do a fresh install without purchasing Norton. I also do not have the Windows XP restore disc for the computer or I'd do a fresh install of Windows. When I try to manually remove the program via add/remove programs I get this error message: "Error 1316.A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\Windows\Installer\Symantec Antivirus.msi" It's probably trying to connect to a corporate server that of course it doesn't have access to. Or, could it possibly have been a "fake" antivirus program that got quarantined or deleted that it can not find any longer?

When I click on Ok to this message I get another message stating "Windows could not find C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click search."

It seems the installation is invoked whenever I right click on anything. If I can figure out how that is triggered, we can solve this problem.

#7 Brian2010

Brian2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:20 AM

This can be closed, now. I used the Microsoft Windows Install Cleanup tool (no longer available from Microsoft due to inadvertently deleting critical programs or files). But, I specifically chose just the Symantec files when using the program, rebooted, and all is good now. Thanks.

Brian

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for posting your solution, and the issue was related to the fact that maybe you didnt have the required permissions to remove the application.

#9 Brian2010

Brian2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

Hi Crypto,

Although I have administrator rights, it was the corporate edition installation. So, I'm sure I there were rights issues here that I had no control over. I'm definitely not a network settings guru!

Thanks, again, for the advice. I had gone several days of trying to figure it out and stumbled on the solution this morning.

Brian

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:53 PM

There are different levels of rights in the administrative world of networks in the corporate environment.

Here is a little break down: Default Service Administrator Groups and Accounts.

Edited by cryptodan, 03 June 2011 - 01:53 PM.

#11 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

Glad to hear Brian :thumbsup:

Excellent link cryptodan! Good information there!

bloopie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users